NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Stoke on Trent

guti14

Hi all.

First of all I'm really happy to find this forum after a little searching the internet, I have already picked up so much great info while I have been lurking for the past week or so and hope to learn more now becoming a signed up member.

A little about me, first of all a complete beginner to astronomy, I have often looked up and when planets can be seen with the naked eye, come home and found out what it was I had been looking at in awe that evening, what a wonderful thing the internet is.

Due to the above, I don't yet own a scope or any other equipment, whilst I do have some money set aside to buy one, I'm glad I haven't made that leap yet after reading some things on here, maybe I should go down the binos route for a while first.

So many parts of astronomy interest me from the moon to deep space and all in-between including photography (is there even a single 1 scope that does all that could do all of this?) which is why I'm glad I found this place, giving me a chance to learn before I make any decisions that might put me off before I begin.

Here's to learning and hopefully one day being able to pass on some of the information that others on here are so happy to provide :smiley:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Guti14

Choosing a scope for lunar / planets / DSO's and AP is a tall order, but a decent reflector on a HEQ5 mount should do the trick.

if you can hold off with the AP, then the Sky Watcher 200P dobsonian is a great choice.

Ask your questions in the beginners section and you will get lots of help.

Hi and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, there isn't one scope that does it all and in part explains why many of us have more than one scope. If you want to get into imaging them I would recommend reading Steve Richards' book "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95). It is a comprehensive guide and reading through this book several times will provide you with a complete overview of astrophotography in order to help you decide how deep you want to go. Binoculars would provide a great start and will be a piece of kit that you will use even if you have a scope and so represents good value for money. If you want some help on deciding what to get and what factors you should consider, then I would again recommend this site to help you further. Generally the dobsonian scope will represent the best value for money and preferably a Skywatcher 200P or a little larger would be my choice. Of course you can choose something with a smaller aperture (aperture = resolution = detail) but you will soon want to upgrade and so starting off at this upgrade point would save you money and if should find that astronomy in the end wasn't for you (...though I would doubt it! :grin: ) then this scope would offer you a better resell value than a typical 'beginner' scope that might be harder to sale. Food for thought. :smiley:

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Guti welcome to SGL, being a relative newcomer myself to Astronomy i cant really help you deciding on your first telescope, but the good members here will im sure.

your going about it the right way by asking questions first before jumping in and spending cash on stuff you may of may not use.

download Stellarium to your pc to start learning the sky and dont worry your not missing anything as the next clear sky isnt till march :grin:

hi guti from another Stoke on Trent dweller. don't know where abouts in Stoke you are but Keele university has open nights at their observatory on tuesday nights where, if the weather plays fair you can look through their 14" (i think its 14") refractor. there are also some great guys there that will help you will any questions you may have. They also are open on Saturday afternoons when they get out the solar scope if its clear. well worth a visit. enjoy your journey into the amazing world of astronomy and remember, it can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.

Scott

Hi Guti14

welcome to SGL from Darren in Peterborough. I'm also new to astronomy. Started a year ago with a 2nd hand pair of binos which I soon upgraded to a Meade etx90 goto. This helped me learn the constellations. I've just sold that and upgraded to a Skywatcher 200p on eq5 mount. Got to use it for the first time last night and wow!

Everyone here was so helpful when it came to making a decision on my upgrade. Honest advise with lots of opinions. I can also recommend FLO (First Light Optics). No hard sell, Martin offered impartial advise on scope and eyepieces.

Also, seek out your local astronomy association. Another great source for info, events and a good night out under the stars.

Once you start looking you're hooked. Clear skies my friend.

all the best

:kiss:

Wow folks first of all thanks for the great welcome and secondly the great advice that just keeps coming. For a complete newbie even the best books to read is a great starting point I must say.

Auspom - I was not aware that keele did that. I am very close only in knutton so close enough to walk on a nice day. Is this something that happens every week weather permitting or is it only on special occaisions?

Also to all the stokies, do we have a society or club locally? Obviously be a great place to start if we did.

Off to bed now after my night shift but i shall return before i head off back to work.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived