Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh hai thar from Luton

Feynman

Hi all!

I've been into astronomy and science in general since I was a kid, but I have spent most of my spare time on the science side of astronomy (astrophysics) and I've not done a great deal of observing. So I decied to join SGL with the aim of learning off of all you very knowledgable people!

At the moment I have a 6 inch Newtonian and an old 80mm refractor, but I'm hoping to invest in a new 'scope later this year with a view to doing some astrophotography. I will probably lurk a little at first and learn from the threads already here, but no doubt I will have plenty of my own questions in the not too distant future.

Clear skies!

Rob.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. You indicate above that you are looking at some point in the future in the direction of astrophotography, can I suggest you take a look at Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you read about here. It's a very comprehensive guide detailing what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will meet with your expectations. It's well written and the overview that it provides will also help you decide on how far you might want to go and therefore help you formulate a realistic budget - they don't call it the 'dark art' for nothing! :grin: In fact the book might also save you money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit as we don't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. You indicate above that you are looking at some point in the future in the direction of astrophotography, can I suggest you take a look at Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you read about here. It's a very comprehensive guide detailing what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will meet with your expectations. It's well written and the overview that it provides will also help you decide on how far you might want to go and therefore help you formulate a realistic budget - they don't call it the 'dark art' for nothing! :grin: In fact the book might also save you money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit as we don't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Thanks for the tip James! I'll check it out.

Archived