NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello Everyone!

ezerasurfr

Hello everybody!

My name is Brian. I'm a newbie to all this. I was doing my research and just pulled the trigger on a Meade 10" LB. Decided on a DOB, and wanted to go a little bigger than the 8", while staying under $1000.00 US. This will be my very first telescope, even though I've probably wanted one for the last 25 years or so. It's the last big purchase I'm making before our first child is to be born (I believe my wife is going with an iPad for her choice...pshhh. boring IMO). Anyway, back on topic. This will be my first experience with telescopes, but not my first with optics. I previously ran a freelance photography business, so I have a decent understanding of the importance of quality when it comes to glass, and a working understanding of how it applies to eyepieces, ect. I also have a good working knowledge of light and how it applies to, well - everything we look at. Anyway, not to ramble on.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. Well that's certainly going to be a very nice size of scope to begin with and it will certainly provide you with some terrific views of the night sky. It's a big scope but I'm sure the boxes are going to be even bigger - you'll probably here it arrive before you see it! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wishing you clear skies for its arrival and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Brian and welcome to SGL, nice sized scope you have on the way, with access to better skies than most of us can get over here you should be rewarded with some splendid views. Treat yourself to a copy of The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, together with a good star map you will not be lost for objects to focus your scope on for some very considerable time to come, enjoy your Astronomy and congratulations on you first baby when it arrives :)

John.

Hi Brian

Welcome to the lounge! Sounds like a great scope - should keep "aperture fever" at bay for a while at least ;). If your wife likes the ipad as much as mine, it'll be a permanent feature, and pretty much welded to her hands in no time! At least she downloaded loads of astro apps for us to look at, so not all bad!

Clear skies!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! The scope should arrive today. I'll take come photos of the setup, as everyone always seems to appreciate pictures that accompany post. Well, I know I do anyway. Thanks for the recommendation on the book John, and also on a recommendation for a star map. I was actually already looking for one, but am a little lost on which one to get. Any suggestions (from anyone)?

And Mark, I'm sure she'll love the iPad - she is already on her phone and laptop pretty much constantly. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived