Hello from South London

sairade

Hi All!

My wife bought me a telescope for Christmas (Celestron 102SLT), I've always been fascinated with the stars and universe and would often point out stuff in the sky to my wife on a clear night.

Well, this tweaked my wifes interest in the sky too and she often looks up and admires the beauty and magnificence of it all.

Being the wonderful woman that she is, she decided to buy me a telescope for christmas (although she describes it as a selfish present as she wants to use it too!) so we're now starting a new journey using more than the naked eye!

Looking forward to the start of an adventure now (although not the expense!).

Just need some clear skies and a lack of rain, because it's been sat in the box since christmas day. :(

Adrian & Sarah

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Adrian and Sarah welcome to SGL, you have a whole new experience awaiting when it stops raining. To help you find your way about the night sky, download the free program Stellaruim, there is also a very popular book TL@O which is written with the small telescope in mind and will guide you to many objects which can be seen in the Constellations at various time of the year, enjoy your new scope :icon_santa:

John.

I forgot to mention the Baker-street Irregulars, a very prominent Astronomical society, which meet in Regents Park on a regular basis, you will be able to obtain some first hand experience from the members if you go along to one of their meetings one night :)

John.

Thanks for the welcome! Just bought the kindle version of that book :)

Just checked out the site for the baker street irregulars, looks fantastic! I think we shall be popping along there definitely as we'd be stupid not to take advantage when people are willing to offer such help and information!

I've had stellarium installed on the computer for a number of years, it's a great program! Being a software engineer I've already peeked at the source code and was happy to see that it's a Qt framework application (I've spent years developing commercial Qt applications) - can't resist tinkering!

I know it probably sounds stupid, but one of my favourite memories of looking up in the sky was seeing the Mir space station closely followed by the space shuttle! Although the views of the planets earlier this year was also fantastic!

Soooo, mother nature, it's up to you now!

Archived