Hi all, I'm a noob from Wolverhampton!

BUZZIN_NICE

Hi all,

Nice to be here! I'm Dean from Sunny Wolverhampton, UK smile.png

I have finally joined the telescope gang, after wanting to join in for so long, my wonderful missus.. I mean santa, has got me a new telescope. woop woop! smile.png

I have a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P, with 10mm eye piece, 25mm eye piece and 2x Barlow lens.

Amazing views of the Moon so far via 10mm. I am a total noob here so please bare with me. Tried to get a really zoomed in view of Moon using the Barlow, but so far I cannot get this lens to focus.

Going to enjoy learning with you guys! smile.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome to the lounge. Congrats on new scope! The barlow lens needs to be used with one of your eyepieces, and will then double the magnification; it doesn't do anything on it's own; put the 10mm into the barlow and then put the barlow into the scope, you then have a 5mm eyepiece (2x the mag of a 10mm).

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. Catweazel, I did try using the Barlow with both eye pieces, I also had a moon filter attached which I removed incase I had an issue with this, but not so. I had a massive ball of light which I presume must have been the moon (which I had aligned with the 10mm first) but it seemed I couldn't get focus. Absolutely loving the 10mm... WOW, time to get me some T-mounts for the camera :)

Hi Dean and welcome to SGL, nice scope you have, but if you are having issues with focusing with the Barlow, it just might be worthwhile addressing a question about this in the equipment help and advice section, as there may be other members who have had the same problem. In the meantime, if you havn`t already downloaded the free program Stellarium, to help you find your way about the night sky, you should do so. a copy of the popular book TL@O is also very helpful addition in guiding you to the many objects which can be seen as it is written with the small telescope in mind. Enjoy your Astronomy :icon_santa:

John.

Archived