NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Barnsley, South Yorkshire

lucas1860

Hello all,

Jim Lucas, from Barnsley.

Got back into stargazing after a few years away from it, things have changes in the 10 years since I left it. Most of what you get now was out of range of the working man in price. that's progress for you. I have started with the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT, i have posted on another part of this forum on that, not a good start to say the least. I have and avid interest in aviation photography, as you can image this time of years it goes quiet, so i decided to fill my nights with this. hoping to adapt the photography for viewing up above. Manage to get a Phillips web cam with the CCD chip, so will adapt that to use.....when my scope is working right that is...

Regards to all.

Jim.

www.lucasaviationphotography.co.uk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. If you have designs on getting into astrophotography, you might like to consider getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you can read about here. Its a very comprehensive guide on the kit that you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will help meet your expectations. There are some similarities with terrestrial photography but in the main it is quite a different discipline. The main consideration concerning imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae, which is the most popular type of imaging, will be the mount and its accuracy in tracking objects. A quick glance at members equipment lists in their signatures will give you some idea of what seems to work and is the most consistent performers. I notice you are using a webcam, which is a great piece of kit for imaging solar system objects (moon and planets) but they don't call imaging the 'Dark Art' for nothing and the seduction of the deep night sky will soon be upon you! :grin: :grin: :grin: The above book will certainly help you decide on how deep you want to go and the resulting budget to finance it. Thankfully there is a lot of software out there that is free to download and use but as you might expect, there are one or two others out there that will need to be paid for and perhaps your interest in aviation photography might mean you have some of this software already.

You have certainly come to the right place to ask questions and to do the necessary research that will help you revitalize your interest in astronomy, which as you have already mentioned has certainly changed quite a bit since you were last involved in it.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived