sgl newbie

rheider

Just registered with sgl after purchasing a nexstar 102gt at costco. Still trying to set it up. Icant believe they sell this thing without a moon filter. The lenses as I have read are limited at best so I want to get some new ones asap. Would like some input as to what to buy. A celestron kit or more expensive individual ones. Maybe I could purchase slowly as needed.. also the scope does not come with a 2x barlow. ac power supply seems a must. Read good reviews on this scope. Hopefully the bones are there to build on. Any helpfull reply would be very much appreciated.Been on hold with celestron for at least an hour. Oh well its christmas time . Randy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi & welcome Randy. Having bought the Celestron kit of eyepieces - I wished I'd have not done so, but bought fewer, better eyepieces instead. If you do get a Celestron powertank, be careful not to let the power run too low as it may not recharge properly. That happened to me so I now use a leisure battery instead. Enjoy your equipment regardless of its limitations. Even NASA aren't satisfied with what they've got.

Thanks for the feedback. On reading this forumI found the eyepiece selection. The eypieces that came with scope are said to be junk.(marked sr and H ) Understand not forking out more $ right away but I think this case might warrent it. Junk lenses and no moon filter! How can I enjoy the hobby if my equiptment is that inferior. Looking at buying the celestron plossl kit for around 140.00 and an ac adapter for about 25.00. Would this be a good match or am I overspending on the eyepieces. Will have a total investment of about 350.00. Thanks

Hi Randy and welcome to the forum. Personally I would avoid eyepiece kits as they often contain coloured filters which you are unlikely to use long with one or two of the eyepieces. Better to buy separate eyepieces and if you know what you want, used eyepieces as they offer the best bargain as you can sell them on for as much as you paid for them when you want to upgrade. Once you have narrowed down a brand or model specification, you might want to take a look here on Astromart to see if there are any bargains to be had. You haven't stated a budget so its difficult to recommend a particular eyepiece, but the BST Double ED Starguider eyepieces known as 'Explorers' in the US offer very good value for money or you might want to consider the Celestron X-Cel brand which is also highly regarded for the price (there is a SGL review comparing both brands here). Agena Astro Products (here) in the U.S sell both brands and are currently running a winter discount which might place them within your budget.

Overall, it is worth spending your money on good separate eyepieces as they are more likely to remain with you even though the scope you use may have changed. Good eyepieces hold their value better in the longer term (...as they are more likely to be in demand) should you wish to sell them at a later date or want to upgrade. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived