Greetings from Milton Keynes

Richard32

Hi all, I'm Richard, I'm new to this and a newbie to astronomy who wants to learn more about the night sky. I'm also looking to get into astrophotography aswell, already owning a canon 600d. I'm looking to get my first telescope, but not sure which one to get, I do have a budget upto a celestron cpc 925, but I'm not sure if that's aiming to high.

Hi Richard and welcome to SGL, the 9.25 is a serious piece of kit, however, as you say you are new to the World of Astronomy and want to indulge also in AP, the dark side as it is affectionately known, then the first piece of advice is to obtain a copy of Steve Richards book " Every Photon Counts " available through FLO see top of page. Before spending any money, some good solid research into what you want to achieve is the best way forward at this time :)

John.

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. Got to agree with John above regarding the book, "Making Every Photon Count" which is an essential part of any research into wanting to be successful in astrophotgraphy. It will tell you what kit you need and why you need to take good consistent images that will meet your own expectations. A quick glance at mmber's kit signatures in the imaging sections will confirm in generally what most people are using and has been found to be the most reliable in operation. Ultimately, imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae is where most people head for in the longer term and here your choice of mount will be the most important consideration, the Skywatcher HEQ5 probably being the minimum requirement. Small refractors seem to be the preferred 'weapon' of choice because they are light in weight and because they are deemed to be 'fast' scopes which help facilitate more accurate tracking. The book will go into the detail of these considerations in more depth and is certainly the only purchase you should make in the short term.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived