NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at astrophtography

den12386

Hi, this is my first attempt at astrophotography. I took this shot of the moon on the 28th November 2012. I attached my Nikon D5000 to my new Skywatcher 707 refractor with a T2 ring and used the live view to focus the image. I used a setting of iso 200 and an exposure of 1/250 taking the shot as a RAW file. I tweeked the shot in Photoshop lightroom 4 and processed the final image from 2 images in photomatix. I am very pleased with the result as I don`t know much about processing astro shots compared to landscape shots I am used to. What do you think of it, any comments most welcome. Thanks Dennis.

post-23951-0-45133000-1354321906_thumb.j

Agreed, very nice image and placing the full moon on the intersection of the thirds really adds to the composition. I can definitely see you have a photography background even if astro-photography is new to you.

Well done for a lovely first image.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my first astro shot. I am pleased that everyone likes it. i have always wanted to take a nice shot of the moon and I think I have done it. I am also keen to try afocal photography and will buy an adaptor for this and use my compact digital camera. I will have another go at the moon when the weather allows to see if I can get a better shot.

Hi, this is my first attempt at astrophotography. I took this shot of the moon on the 28th November 2012. I attached my Nikon D5000 to my new Skywatcher 707 refractor with a T2 ring and used the live view to focus the image. I used a setting of iso 200 and an exposure of 1/250 taking the shot as a RAW file. I tweeked the shot in Photoshop lightroom 4 and processed the final image from 2 images in photomatix. I am very pleased with the result as I don`t know much about processing astro shots compared to landscape shots I am used to. What do you think of it, any comments most welcome. Thanks Dennis.

very inspiring den 12386, i find i have problems with my astro imaging, my dslr nikon d40x when on manual focus tends to move its settings particulary when on a steep angle,ie pointing right up, one slight movement of camera or accidental knocking of tripod tends too alter the focus ring,bit dissapointed with that,also it doesnt have a live view capability which is another handicap,particulary when trying to image double stars, are most cameras of that price range a bit sloppy on the manual focus range i ask myself, anyway great shot keep up the good work den

• 2 months later...

Archived