NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you have blue eyes?????......

Jiggy 67

.......Then you're very lucky, according to a factoid on the Steve Wright show today, blue eyes are the most sensitive to light whilst dark brown are the least. Does this mean that distant objects will appear brighter to someone with blue eyes than to someone with dark brown eyes??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The part of the eye around the pupil is not completely opaque so some stray light can enter the eye via the iris, if the light is sufficiently strong. In that case you would expect that people with darker iris colour (e.g. brown) would have less stray light inside the eye than people with light coloured eyes (e.g. blue). Hence you would guess that people with brown eyes are able to cope better in bright, high-glare situations than those with blue eyes, the latter being more "sensitive" in that they would be more susceptible to the adverse effect of strong glare. There is some scientific evidence to support this. But none of this would affect vision in low light, so astronomers needn't get hung up about their eye colour.

I have blue eyes. M31 looks faint and fuzzy through my SW 130. My neighbour has brown eyes. M31 looks faint and fuzzy to him through my SW 130. I remain unconvinced. Surely eyes are eyes, regardless of colour?

Depends what they mean by "sensitive", too. It might mean that people with blue eyes can resolve different colours more accurately, but have no greater sensitivity to photons arriving.

Or, if blue eyes do allow more photos to reach the retina under given lighting conditions that may not translate into those photons being usefully resolved into detail by the eye/brain.

More of a mystery to me is how Steve Wright is still managing to make a living doing the same radio show that he was thirty years ago...

James

From the wiki:

Hazel

Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[4][28] Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa.[54][55][56][57][58][59][60] This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.

So I am multi-coloured :)

Jim

Just to help with the results :D I have Green eyes. Does anyone ever wonder like if people with different eye colors see colors different to what you can see personally.

So your brown might be someone else's red however they have learnt it as brown? Lol :D

From the wiki:

Hazel

Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[4][28] Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa.[54][55][56][57][58][59][60] This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.

So I am multi-coloured :)

Jim

Hmmmm i always thought hazel was that wierd greyish colour that's not quite blue...

My eyes are brownish green, but really green when well lit. I also have a couple of large orangey gold blobs... So i guess i'm hazel... :s

Archived