Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you have blue eyes?????......

Jiggy 67

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My eyes seem to vary from obvious blue to a grey-blue..this seems to depend on tiredness or whether I have a cold..Colour vision is good..Night vision is excellent, but have to wear glasses or contacts as I had an accident years back and my eyes filled with blood..so one eye is slightly long and the other slightly short sighted as a result of induced astigmatism (Basically Tasco eyes :D )

I do not believe the "factoid" for one minute...there are way too many other factors that impact our genetics and eyes which impact how our eyes actually work in practice..

Just to help with the results :D I have Green eyes. Does anyone ever wonder like if people with different eye colors see colors different to what you can see personally.

So your brown might be someone else's red however they have learnt it as brown? Lol :D

No. Otherwise color-blind tests would not work. It is widely believed that people with blue eyes are much more at risk of being color blind (some colors seen as other colors) and people with brown eyes the least at risk.

Years ago, when getting your first driver's license where I live, they gave you a color blind test (to determine if you could see red, yellow and green on traffic lights) until someone pointed out that the positions of the lights were all standard (red-top, yellow-middle and green-bottom). That was the end of color blind tests for getting/renewing licenses :grin: And for flashing lights on fire, police and other emergency vehicles, they now use all colors (red, blue, green and white flashing in sequence) so it doesn't matter anymore and along with the siren noise, only a drunk would not notice an approaching vehicle :Envy:

As for the light level/color detection of the human eye, it's the conditions of the cones and rods in the retina that determine color (cones) and low light level limits of detection (rods). The "blue eye" higher risk of color blindness is a genetic conditions popular in blue eyed people. So at night when looking through a scope or bins, the limiting factor is getting your eyes dark adapted at all costs :eek:

No. Otherwise color-blind tests would not work.

Colour blindness is more about being unable to differentiate between colours, eg red and brown appear the same etc.

What he means is about maybe what i see as red, you see as what i would call bright blue. You'd still call it red however, since that colour has always been known as red to you. The only way we'd know any different was if we were able to look through each others eyes.

Er jim come to bed eye ? Is that cos you have a permanent wink ?

I have blue eyes and funnily enough do suffer with glare on a bright day .

SWMBO has green eyes red hair comes from north of hadrians wall and a mean right hook and I have no idea if she can see anymore than me through the scope so might suggest a nights observing to put theory to test !!

Just to repeat, the assertion is not that blue eyes are better than brown, but that blue-eyed people may be more sensitive to the adverse effects of glare (which, if anything, would make brown eyes superior). In effect, a brown iris is a better baffle against stray light.

There has also been some suggestion that pupil size may be related to iris colour but, if true, this would only affect naked-eye astronomy. When using a telescope at anything higher than its lowest useable magnification the limiting factor is exit pupil size, not eye pupil.

having different coloured eyes makes no difference to night vision - pupil and retina is the key to that.

having different coloured iris is all about glare from sunlight. you ever wonder why black or dark skinned people have brown eyes? it reduces glare from reflected light from the closed iris to the cornea back into the pupil.

people from northern latitudes dont need this and therefore dont produce melonin on their iris to combat glare - which is why more often blue eyed people squint in bright sunlight. it is NOT sensitiveity in their retina - but increases reflected light.

shame it aint true, i have very pale blue eyes

Archived