Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 23rd Nov

Freddie

Nice one Freddie - this is how Jupiter should look. As I write this I can hear the rain hammering down and the News says we're in for another rough night. At least we an look at your excellent image and momentarily forget about the deluge outside.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Josh, this was with the CPC925.

Bus_ter, tips? Well I'd say quality optics are important but more important is to ensure you are getting the best out of the kit you have. Collimation for this level of detail is absolutely key. I use MetaGuide when checking mine. The 925 holds collimation well but I do a quick check each time (takes a couple of mins) with the exact same set-up as I will image with. When time for an adjustment, I spend some time to make sure it is spot on.

I also think it's important to have a routine so you set-up and capture the same each time, the only thing I then change each night is camera gain to get a consistant histo night to night. You need a good AVI to start with, however good your post processing is!! And finally, stick with it as with most things, you definately get better with practice!!

Bus_ter, I find Metaguide very good for collimation. Give it a try and see what you think.

If conditions are not great, I use a 2x Celestron ultima and my DBK21. If conditions are good (as they were for this shot) I use a 4x Tele Vue powermate, Baader filter set and DMK. 4x puts the 925 at FL ~9.2m and F40 so it's pushing it a bit hence the need for top quality optics and spot on set-up.

For collimation you need to be checking on both an out of focus star and also the airy pattern. You could post up a pic of your collimation image if you want some others to comment.

Archived