NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 18/11/2012

cgarry

Very nice. And interestingly, no real evidence of the darker equatorial band that was visible earlier this month.

You mean the Ultra Penguin band?!

I took a video last night on my webcam and also experimented with the DSLR, I'll process and upload them later tonight.

Couldn't see the band in the unprocessed video.

BTW Great Jupiter image! Love those C14s. Just curious, do you spend much time perfecting the collimation?

Thanks for the comments.

BTW Great Jupiter image! Love those C14s. Just curious, do you spend much time perfecting the collimation?

I think am somewhat obsessive about collimation but the scope holds it so well that this is mostly just a matter of doing a star test at the start of each session. If it does need some adjustment, then I will spend 10 minutes of so sorting it out using a mono camera with an IR pass filter and of course Bob's knobs.

A much bigger issue for me is getting the thermal currents under control, a battle I thought I had won but I may yet have more work to do.

Cheers,

Chris

Here is a restacked-rework, aiming for a smoother image, possibly at the expense of detail!

8198065734_eb6caf773f_o.jpg

Jupiter (S upwards)

18/11/2012 01:23

Cambridge, UK.

Scope: C14, x2 barlow

Camera: DFK 21AU618.AS

(Drizzle rework)

Cheers,

Chris

Here is a restacked-rework, aiming for a smoother image, possibly at the expense of detail!

8198065734_eb6caf773f_o.jpg

Jupiter (S upwards)

18/11/2012 01:23

Cambridge, UK.

Scope: C14, x2 barlow

Camera: DFK 21AU618.AS

(Drizzle rework)

Cheers,

Chris

Prefer that smoother natural rendition Chris, as a non scientist, when you lose that natural feel, in my opinion youve lost the mosty important thing about the beauty of planetary imaging. It Just comes down to art versus science. If something particulaly interesting was happening on the cloud bands that wasnt showing well, without pushing. Then yes maybe create two renditions for that reason. But i think most love the beauty element. Its a nice capture. The resize and more natural feel works better to my eyes. Good Job

Thanks guys. Having tried several approaches I agree that the smooth natural look is the best way to go. However, I am sure that my idea of a smooth natural image will change over time as I get more processing techniques and hopefully experience with better data under my belt.

One thing I would like to figure out is why my images looks so different on my work PC. That doesn't seem to be the case for other people's images!

Cheers,

Chris

Archived