Hello from Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA

drwphoto

I'm a Brit originally from Sheffield, and have spent almost 20 years stateside (I'm starting to plan on returning in a couple years, though not sure where yet). I'm really glad I found SGL because it seems like near every post on CL seems to result in the pointless 'my gear is bigger/better than your gear' posts. Not particularly appealing to a newbie.

I've been into astronomy since I picked up a copy of "The Universe" as a kid at WHSmiths back in the mid 70's. I took an Intro to Astronomy course online a few years ago, and then attended a local star party. Not surprising that I've got 'the bug' again.

I recently got a Zhummel Z10 dobsonian, plus a few additions to get started on the right track. I'm trying to quickly figure out how to use this telescope as much as possible through the clear winter nights we typically get here (because it gets way too cold and typically snowy). I'm already amazed how few choices we have to cart a dob around, so I can see I'll be making a go-cart of sorts - just like old times :)

I'm hoping to get my feet wet with astrophotography with my existing photo gear, though I'm well aware that a dob probably isn't the best choice for that. We'll see how well that turns out.

Now to continue reading the excellent posts here :)

Cheers,

Dean

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dean and welcome to SGL. You are right about the dob not being the best scope for astro photography, on deep sky objects anyway. Returning to Britain and getting into astro-photography, you must have a very nice bank manager ha. Anyway welcome aboard. Continued clear skies.

Paul.

Returning to Britain and getting into astro-photography, you must have a very nice bank manager ha.
I wish - more like I'm at the end of my rope here, and I've been into nature/landscape/macro photography for many years. For the time being, I'm happy thinking that I've got one heck of a new lens for my camera :)

Cheers Paul,

Dean

Archived