Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which one do you like better?

Josh Wilson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest opinion? They are not both great images. The one on the left is an excellent image and the one on the right, comparatively, a poorer one. This has nothing to do with the spikes! The image on the left has been subtly stretched to bring out the faint gas and dust through which the cluster is travelling. Capturing this is very difficult. The faint reds are showing clearly and the colour balance is accurate and informative.

The image on the right has been badly clipped at both the black and the white points so that the faint details have been cropped out and discarded and the star colour has been lost from the other end, the bright end, of the picture. The sky is artificially black and the colour is out of balance (the blues look magenta due to a loss of green signal) and a lack of signal has made it noisy. Sorry to be so brutal but that's what I see when I look carefully at both.

Now, spikes. No thanks, not for me. They are artefacts of the telescope and I want the sky to speak for itself. At long focal lengths we are pretty much stuck with them because large clear aperture telescopes are rare and expensive. However, some like them. Actually what I really don't like about short focal length diff spiked images are the small square stars that don't quite make it to having full spikes.

Olly

I prefer no spikes as a rule but if it's a Newt etc then they are merely a signature of the scope.

Are these images yours ? If they are then well done.

If they are not then a credit to the author(s) would be a good idea.

Dave.

I prefer no spikes as a rule but if it's a Newt etc then they are merely a signature of the scope.

Are these images yours ? If they are then well done.

If they are not then a credit to the author(s) would be a good idea.

Dave.

No, those aren't my pics. And you're right, I should give them credit for such amazing works!

No diffraction pic, credit goes to: Antonio Fernandez-Sanchez

Diffraction pic, credit goes to: Fred Espenak. It's actually already there at the bottom right

Spikes = pretty - if I was choosing for a wallpaper on my computer or a print to put on the wall I would choose that image.

No spikes = realistic. If I wanted to study or use as a reference, I would choose that image. Plus as others have said it has more detail.

I'm with Olly - the first is full of detail, nebulosity and colour bringing out a truer image of what's up there. The spikes are pretty but detract from the image a bit too much - and the detail in that one is all gone. I might use the first to impress an astronomy forum, and the second to impress an art gallery. But my personal preference is the none spikey one. :)

Archived