Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

the glazed look

sam mayo

i have only ben to 1 society meet so i dont get the chance very often to talk astronomy so i tell every 1 i see instead especially family member,

after a while(1 min) i notice the glazed look on thier faces but i carry on,the rreason being i cant help it but i am always shocked how people dont care or have intrest in the universe our creator.and it really makes my foot itch(dragons den quote not sure 100% what it means yet lol)annoyed when people never ever look up,

conclusion if they wont look up i will keep telling them till they walk away or unleash the haymakers n me

does any 1 else have this problem?

thanks

sam

(astro preecher)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how you feel. I'm the only person on my entire base that has any interest in astronomy. Most folks I know, care more about when they are getting drunk, or what new video game/movie is coming out this weekend. I just let them be and go about my own business. Most people are just content seeing it on tv or whatever, instead of looking for themselves. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

Before I got into astronomy I would waste a lot of time watching the news and worrying about current events. Now I hardly follow the news (although I still seem to be reasonably well informed, I think) and focus on enjoying myself with creative projects, stargazing and so on. I really feel it is a shame so many people spend so much time watching TV, drinking too much, spending money on cosmetics and (unhealthy) shoes. My experience has been that there are many people with an interest in astronomy, but they tend to feel that they will see nothing from a city, or that planets are too far away to see with a telescope - any number of misconceptions that stop them from having a closer look themselves.

It's always difficult trying to convey the passion you feel about something, but you'd think something as fundamental and awesome as the visible universe would grab anyone at some level. Just explaining that the light we're seeing has spent many thousands of years getting here often fails to impress.

"That's nice dear" is the usual response at home.

Doesn't really matter. It's their loss and doesn't diminish my interest to any degree.

Jason

One has to remember, our societies are still recovering from ye olde cannon fodder days, where much of the population were mere proles, here to work in factories and to be sent away to foreign parts where they were expected to be maimed and die for 'King and Country'. Give them another couple of hundred years and maybe, perhaps, the general populace will start to think for themselves and develop interests beyond the colour of a football teams shirt.

Stop pushing it down them.

Does no good, just because it interests you doesn't mean it has to interest them.

Talking about it will make them less interested, they will visit your neighbours and pay them to install high power security light soon just to keep you quiet. :eek: :eek:

Bet you would switch off if they talked about their facebook followers and the tweets they had made and read.

why is our interest in the universe better than someones interest in technology or whatever ppl chose to be interested in. we are no better or worse than someone whose interest means nothing to us. tolerance is the key. just my opinion, make of it what you will

Scott

What's Eastenders ? It is unusual to find somebody that does not even have a passing interest. My other half has no interest at all in anything astro related, but when I find something and show her she is amazed and interested albeit only for about 2 minutes. ha. Then again I am not really interested in Downton Abbey and Buffy the Vamp slayer.

i wonder when man went to the moon if the interest in astronomy grew with intrest is space .i read somewhere that there should have been as much hype about curiosity as the moon landing which im not sayin its right or wrong but i did find it less interesting think because itsot a human( even though it might be a step to that ),i understand this doesn't necessarily make sense but is still a great achievment and cant wait to see what come from is.

i wonder when man went to the moon if the interest in astronomy grew with intrest is space .i read somewhere that there should have been as much hype about curiosity as the moon landing which im not sayin its right or wrong but i did find it less interesting think because itsot a human( even though it might be a step to that ),i understand this doesn't necessarily make sense but is still a great achievment and cant wait to see what come from is.

I do agree, Xbox Live had the landing plastered and even streamed it Live (where I watched it). I believe Sky News covered the few moments leading up to and after landing, where as I saw nothing on BBC News Channel or other channels. What is needed to get people behind the space race again.

Tis sad that more people in this country watched a a Royal marry a commoner (I say commoner, hands up who went to school with the future (unnecessary) King of this country) then the greatest accomplishment this century (so far).

To be fair if someone started telling me all about their horse or their handbag I would do exactly the same. Not everyone has the same passion or interest for the same things so there's no reason why any of us should EXPECT everyone to appreciate the wonder of the universe.

I only ever get into discussions when someone shows an interest not the other way round. And it's rarely the people I think will be interested. One of my friends is a carpenter and he was doing a lot of work for me over about 3 months. I've known him for years and we've never touched on anything scientific. He saw the telescope etc and I couldn't stop him talking (no wonder the new stairs took so long :smiley: ) and every time he came round he wanted to know what was visible at the moment, what had he seen with the naked eye a few days earlier etc. As soon as it's dark relatively early he's coming round to spend the night in the garden with me and the scope.

I found a late BBQ worked wonders. Plenty of good food and as the stars begin to shine I go get the baby GOTO scope, set it up and ask if anyone would like a look (I usually suckerpunch them with Saturn or the Moon for a first look and the GOTO is a can't resist to the iPhone mob).

Normally ends up with me getting a headache from being bombarded with questions.

I started of going to Liverpool astromical society at pec hill in Widnes but after 6 months I stopped going it all got to political which spoilt every thing I intended to go for. Dont get me wrong I

Met some nice genuine folks there who now come round to my house and observe.if I know people Rnt Intrested when the topic comes up I just go and find some one else to have an interlectuial convisation with

u r right that day will come but dont think we will be here to see it! and to the earlier post i am saying my interest is better than say some 1 elses but thats my opinion which i know to well is 99% of the time wrong (i am not really going rule the world either)

how long will it be till the sun does get bigger anyway? maybe 7 billion years(guess)

i have only ben to 1 society meet so i dont get the chance very often to talk astronomy so i tell every 1 i see instead especially family member,

after a while(1 min) i notice the glazed look on thier faces but i carry on,the rreason being i cant help it but i am always shocked how people dont care or have intrest in the universe our creator.and it really makes my foot itch(dragons den quote not sure 100% what it means yet lol)annoyed when people never ever look up,

conclusion if they wont look up i will keep telling them till they walk away or unleash the haymakers n me

does any 1 else have this problem?

thanks

sam

(astro preecher)

i feel trainspotters know how you feel or people who check airplane numbers , or maybe do as i do and carry on what i'm doing and if someone asks me i will tell them and show them what my hobby is

I tend to offer the conversation up and if someone cracks the line "Have you seen your anus?" or "Do you look in the neighbours bedroom window?" I swiftly move onto other topics. I reckon out of my usual circle of friends, the split is about 70/30 in favour of those that are genuinely interested and those that simply can't or won't comprehend (% obviously, I wouldn't claim to have one hundred friends!) I can quite happily move on to something else to chat about with 'the others' and don't think any less of them either - they were friends long before I mentioned astronomy to them after all.

There are quite a few of them very keen to come round in the winter months for some viewing in my new 12" Orion toy and a few glasses of wine and I'll be pleased to entertain them.

Archived