Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Used my EQ3 for the first time.

I bought my Mak127 and eq3 in April. Due to the light summer nights, working shifts etc, it was only the other night I used it properly since I got it. This is how it went.

I set it up, levelling it first, pointing it north, its on the correct latitude, and I have a gps on my mount. Looked through the mounts ocular to check I was on the Polaris...off by a small bit so just tweaked the tripod to the left a little till it was in the crosshairs. Then setup on the handset. I did the two star alignment and all seemed good.

After looking around and getting used to the handset, I noticed that objects were not in the centre anymore, yet they were bang on in the finder scope. Any ideas?

Also I thought images in a MAK were the correct way up? But there weren't. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told.

But regardless, got to see a double star, the Ring Nebula and a few other bits n bobs. Not bad considering it was quite light polluted and to find stuff of interest in the part of the sky that was darkest, I used my iPhone app which totally ruined my vision.

Can't wait till next time :)

Did you make sure that the finder scope was aligned to your telescope? Even if you did when you started you may have knocked it a little bit.

I did yes. And it was ok for X amount of time. But like you say I must have knocked it, why else would it go out like that? Do you know if the image through the Mak is supposed to be inverted? I lined the scope up to a pylon on the mountain and it was upside down. I was under the impression it would be as normal.

If, as you say your targets were aligned on centre of your finder scope, but not in your main scope, then as has been suggested, there may be a miss alignment problem. Double check this during daylight by focusing on a distant tip of a TV aerial or church spire or whatever you have that is distinct, and bring this to the centre of both fields of view. If you ever come across a s/h cross hair ep like the Tal, this process is a lot easier and will give a high degree of accuracy. Well done on your first real session achievements :)

John.

I lined the scope up to a pylon on the mountain and it was upside down. I was under the impression it would be as normal.

I missed this bit earlier :)

Were you using a star diagonal when you were doing this or a prism or was the eyepiece straight back in the back of the scope?

If you were using a star diagonal it should be correct side up, laterally (left-right) inverted. Without a star diagonal upside down but normal left-right.

I missed this bit earlier :)

Were you using a star diagonal when you were doing this or a prism or was the eyepiece straight back in the back of the scope?

If you were using a star diagonal it should be correct side up, laterally (left-right) inverted. Without a star diagonal upside down but normal left-right.

I actually tried it both ways. But its not a problem, I was just curious. Thanks for the replies :)

Archived