Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi, i just bought a skywatcher mak 127, when arrived i only realise i bought the OTA without mount. so i ordered az gti mount, because of covid 19 lockdown in my country they can only deliver after the lockdown period.

my question is can i use mak 127 on a camera tripod temporarily? i had this https://www.samurai-...samurai-pro-888. it show can support 5kg max.

As long as you do not expect to much from the tripod or 'scope, it will do as a temporary solution. Ensure the 'scope is secure to the head and if the plate is of the quick-release type, ensure that it is secure too, before each and every use.

Do not expect eye-popping views; (stick to low power for the time being); as it may well tend to vibrate a bit, (useful tip: get a heavy weight and some cord/wire or place weight in a bag and attach it to the hook will help dampen the vibrations).

Edited by Philip R

My version of that scope has four 1/4"-20 mounting holes in the dovetail plate, so yours probably does as well.  You should be able to find one that gives you decent balance on your tripod and attach your tripod head to it there.  The 5kg limit may assume mostly horizontal usage, so it may struggle with it tipped way back and may want to turn turtle at high altitudes.  Be prepared for such an eventuality and to catch it in the act.  Never leave your scope unattended on one of these tripods since you're pushing its limits and your luck.  Beyond that issue, the biggest usability problem with low cost photo tripods is the head.  They have sticky, jumpy motions.  They don't lock down well.  It's difficult to set the tension so you can smoothly pan in either motion.  The connection between the head and the center column tends to be wobbly.

If it's all you've got, by all means use it, but be aware of its limitations and temper your expectations.  Even professional grade fluid video heads struggle with a telescope tipped way back.  There's a reason most alt-az mounts put the telescope on the side of the mount rather than above.  It allows for the scope to remain mostly balanced as it tips skyward.

Edited by Louis D