Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Somerset

Gene

Hi,

I'm Gene from Bridgwater in Somerset and have been an enthusiastic novice for a year now.

My story is probably familiar in that I've had a casual interest in astronomy since I was a child but never took it any further. Then in August 2007, my 8 yr old son started to take an interest and this was just the incentive I needed! The initial plan was to buy him a beginners telescope for his birthday a short while later, but I did a bit of research and we decided to start from a sound footing and go for a pair of 10x50 bins to learn the sky with. We joined the local astronomical society and were (very) lucky enough to be able to borrow a 6" newtonian on a homemade alt/az mount that someone had donated to the society (it was taking up room in the Chairman's shed!).

Then Santa brought me a pair of 15x70s! I must admit that over the last year, the scope has not been out every clear night but we have made good use of it. We're taking it fairly slowly and although my son's interest does come and go, we're still going to (and enjoying) the monthly meetings of the Astro Soc.

I myself do a fair amount of reading but am definately still a novice and I reckon I manage a decent obsv session about once a month on average.

I hope to have my own scope before the next 12 months is out but I keep changing my mind on what type to get.

Vega, pointed myself in the direction of this foum by the way... and his new 10" Dob might well have a bearing on my first scope!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Gene (and son),

...from another recent Somerset member here from Yeovil. Your introductory post reminded me of how my son and I got into this a few years ago - all good educational stuff and you never know where it might lead. David (my son) has just left college achieving 4 straight A's and has been accepted to read Physics at Oxford!

Mark

Hello Gene and son,

a warm welcome to SGL. I do hope your son retains his interest in astronomy. The younger you start the better.

A six inch Dobsonian is a wonderful intro scope, and will give tantalising glimpses of some objects, that a 10" will really show.

But, you must never rush into spending hastily, both have a chat about the areas of astronomy that are of particular interest, and then make your purchase accordingly. Any advice you might need can be found among our experts on SGL. You only need to ask.

Best Wishes.

Ron. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gene welcome.

I used to go fishing on the canal at Fordgate and have lunch at the Thatchers arms pub

not been for a while though just love it down there.

Mick :lol:

I was a keen fisherman when I was there too. Now I have to drill the ice in Moscow :D

Archived