Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you ever feel mad?

FarSide

If i were outside using my telescope and some bitter old lady came outside and stared at me with those "accusatory" looks that only old people can do, i'd simply slew my telescope directly at her and stare at her until she left.

And after she stormed off in a huff, i'd sit back, rub some of my beard hairs between my fingers, and take a sip of my whiskey. Then get back to work :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGGGRRRRR!!!! got pretty mad tonight, all set up watching the edge of the Moon, when WHHAAAMMMMM!!!!! Brand new security light installed by the neighbour blasted away the night. That's one on each side, one behind and one in front.I don't think these folks like the dark, I'll be having a word tomozzel,

Nick.

Did he keep walking up and down all night fiddling with keys and turning locks in doors for not apprent reason? That's what mine does; everytime he does it his search light comes on. I have no idea why he thinks that will scare anyone off. I'm afraid i kept swearing at him semi-loudly. Soon as he turned everything off and went to bed the clouds rolled in.

Im ok when Ive got the telescope out but I always feel a bit dodgy when I sit in the garden with just

the binoculars.

I'm waiting for someone to report me as the local peeping Tom. Not that there's much I want to peep at

around here!

I like the best of both worlds, getting stinkered drunk and trying to do Astronomy. I'm not a alcoholic, just 22 year old.

I had the next door but one snigger and laugh out the window the other night and I just simply stared at them and shouted WHAT?!?, I then said "haven't you come across someone who spies on the neighbors before?"

Tbh. I couldnt care less what they think, they can just walk to the shop in the pyjamas. Scruffs.

Rob.

Your neighbour is a fool (but I guess you already know that). Get him to look through your scope. If he still isn't impressed then he's just a victim of his limited imagination. Most intelligent people I know are fascinated to look through a telescope. Sometimes when I do outreach people are almost in tears. Last time I had a guy who couldn't stop thanking me. Go do some outreach if the idiot neighbour isn't impressed. :)

I was waling to the shops at luchtime today and the sun appeared from behind a cloud and I was struck by a wonderful 'moment of clarity'.

We all know it's a giant nuclear reactor 150,000,000Km away; and this knowledge gives rise to these great feelings of awe. But most people just scurrying about their business miss out on the universe they live in; just paying attention to the trivialities of everyday life.

I know exactly what you mean.

A few months ago I was stood in Lancaster, awestruck at the most perfect circumzenithal arc in the sky. I stood looking at it for ages. as hundreds of people scurried about, shouting at their kids, stuffing their faces with McDonalds. A cople looked at me as I took some photos with my ophone, looked up at the sky and then just carried on. Where's the sense of sonder at the natural world???

Misanthropic? Me? is it any wonder I always use the self-service checkouts in Asda...saves me from having to talk to people. :grin:

I do find it difficult to enjoy observing sometimes. My garden isn't at all private and yes I do feel a bit "mad" when I get confused looks from the neighbours; who knows what they're thinking! Having said that, they seem to have got used to me now.

I was also made to feel a bit crazy when out at 5am round the area taking pictures of the lunar eclipse. One bloke asked me "What are you taking pictures for?" (not "What are you taking pictures of?") So when I told him he just looked at me, shrugged and walked away. Didn't even look in the direction of the moon - it always surprises me how uninterested some people are!

I do find it difficult to enjoy observing sometimes. My garden isn't at all private and yes I do feel a bit "mad" when I get confused looks from the neighbours; who knows what they're thinking! Having said that, they seem to have got used to me now.

I was also made to feel a bit crazy when out at 5am round the area taking pictures of the lunar eclipse. One bloke asked me "What are you taking pictures for?" (not "What are you taking pictures of?") So when I told him he just looked at me, shrugged and walked away. Didn't even look in the direction of the moon - it always surprises me how uninterested some people are!

As Granny Weatherwax would say: they have their brain set to "simmer"

When i say "mad" i mean nutty; insane; crazy. I'm just setting up for some visual tonight, it seems a bit windy for any AP here, and i have all of my gear set up on a raised patio. This raised patio allows people to see everything i'm doing over the fences both sides (which are weirdly low); and i just had my neighbor of two gardens away look at me with his hands on his hips as i was carrying and bolting my 10" onto my mount. As he walked away he was laughing to himself and shaking his head. I just can't understand some people.

Now i know i might look a bit crazy carrying a massive white tube onto an electronic mount with a leads and God knows what else attached to it, but it is just a telescope. has anyone else had this sort of experience?

you should go around there and stick your fingers up his nose i bet that will make him take his hands of his hips

My next door neighbours are terrible curtain twitchers when I am set up in the garden..

"WHAT!!!? you've never seen a 6 foot 4, 20 stone, bearded tattooed man sat on an ironing chair in the dark whilst wearing a dearstalker hat and an eyepatch before"? :eek:

Silly old people seriously think I can't see them? surely they must know at their age, peeping 101 is to turn their lights out BEFORE peeping out of the curtains :rolleyes: I just wave at them and they [removed word] off for a bit... Might have to try the fins and nose cone though :grin: heh heh. In all fairness the neighbours on the other side have noticed me sat at my scope before as well, they just asked me about it and what I look at etc and if they and their kids can come and have a look sometime.

I didn't have a problem last night, only the bloke walking up and down the garden sending his search light into a frenzy. I don't understand why i cant go down once, get all of his jobs done, and then stop going out there. It's as iff he's absent minded. "Gotta' get the tin can now, sweetheart, i'll be back in a moment...."Opps i forgot my tin can, one moment..."..."darn and blast, i forgot that ruddy tin can again, i must go back out there again...". By the end of it i'm pulling my hear out.

When my nieghbour asked me if their 1000w flood light was causing me problems, I just hooked the little finger of my left hand, placed said finger close to my teeth and said in a slightly manic voice.

"their comming, you know!"

"In reading there is knowledge, In Knowledge there's wisdom"

Downside, what to do with all that tooth paste, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :angry4:

Archived