Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you ever feel mad?

FarSide

When i say "mad" i mean nutty; insane; crazy. I'm just setting up for some visual tonight, it seems a bit windy for any AP here, and i have all of my gear set up on a raised patio. This raised patio allows people to see everything i'm doing over the fences both sides (which are weirdly low); and i just had my neighbor of two gardens away look at me with his hands on his hips as i was carrying and bolting my 10" onto my mount. As he walked away he was laughing to himself and shaking his head. I just can't understand some people.

Now i know i might look a bit crazy carrying a massive white tube onto an electronic mount with a leads and God knows what else attached to it, but it is just a telescope. has anyone else had this sort of experience?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, don't worry about it :D

Spent several nights whilst camping creeping round in the dark feeling decidedly dodgy. When I first started, I used to hide whenever the neighbours looked out of the window but I got over that a long time ago.

It's just ignorance, invite them to have a look through your scope next time and they may understand a bit better.

Stu

Yes, very Mad once upon a time, that why I built an Observatory, the neighbors would watch me set up, and one would be coming to check on me for hours from her top window, I can only imagine what they where thinking, a man in his garden with a telescope, I must of been on the top of the neighborhood watches list of nutters in the area, not once's did anyone ask what I was doing, so I can only assume assumptions and rumour where rife, to a degree I felt like some freek in a cage, certainly was an invasion of my privacy, so last year a built my observatory from a metal shed from Argos and so timber from B&Q, now I have my privacy back, and four walls to keep the local curtain twitchers from looking in.

I remember once i really lost my rag and shouted "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT !", there was another word in there, it was that bad, when she stormed off was expecting the plod round but they didn't come . I was quite content setting my kit up on the patio, and that is the only reason why I built the obby, one was in the pipe line anyway, but I want to invest in more kit first. Looking back in the long run, I'm really glad I built it.

I'm thinking about getting myself an observatory too, we already have a large chicken coop at the bottom of the garden and now i'm planning on an obsy on top. Maybe i am mad.

No I dont think building a observatory on top of a chicken coop is mad at all! :eek::grin:

All this probably isnt going to help your neighbours think your sane especially if you have the chicken coop/evil dayglo grin obsy and wear fins and a nose cone all at the same time but really what have you got to lose?? :icon_santa:

I really don't give a t*ss what others think to be honest - if people want to mock me then let them! I enjoy what I do and cherish the quiet evenings in my backyard with just the radio on quietly (well, Absolute 80s on the iPad) and navigating the stars with a chart or such. I know its not everyone's cup of tea but each to their own eh?

As well as the fins and a nose cone, you could wear the tin foil hat, and if you get a funny look just shout 'protects against the Aliens'

I think mine thought i was a bit odd, but once he had a look at the Moon and Jupiter through it, whenever im out there and he pops out he's always looking up at the sky too.

I've always been considered a bit 'mad' because I don't conform to 'the norm'.

I'm sure most of us are the same.

First I was 'bookish' as a kid.

Then I was considered 'arty' when i was a teenager because I did music and theatre instead of playing rugby.

Then 'intellectual' and 'introverted' as an adult becuase I don't like large gatherings and getting fall-down-drunk in the street.

Now I'm even weirder in the eyes of "the normals", having taken up astronomy.

Personally I think the people who work 9-5, watch telly from 6-12 and then do it all again every weekday are crazy.

Then they waste their weekends drinking as much as they can; making sure that they do nothing constructive with their leasure time, and half the time they can't even remember it!

How depressing and small their lives must feel.

I love being me and thus being in a constant state of awe and wonder at the universe I live in and have the ability to percieve and understand somewhat.

I was waling to the shops at luchtime today and the sun appeared from behind a cloud and I was struck by a wonderful 'moment of clarity'.

We all know it's a giant nuclear reactor 150,000,000Km away; and this knowledge gives rise to these great feelings of awe. But most people just scurrying about their business miss out on the universe they live in; just paying attention to the trivialities of everyday life.

More fool them I say.

They are the weird ones.

We all know it's a giant nuclear reactor 150,000,000Km away; and this knowledge gives rise to these great feelings of awe. But most people just scurrying about their business miss out on the universe they live in; just paying attention to the trivialities of everyday life.

Funny you say that, the other day i was on the train going to work, and was gazing towards the sun, and as most people see it just as the sun, not even as a star because its not a small point of light, i always think were 93,000,000 MILES away from that thing, yet its still so bright and you can actually feel the heat from it, that for me is a wow moment.

Funny you say that, the other day i was on the train going to work, and was gazing towards the sun, and as most people see it just as the sun, not even as a star because its not a small point of light, i always think were 93,000,000 MILES away from that thing, yet its still so bright and you can actually feel the heat from it, that for me is a wow moment.

This is my wow moment too :) Just in the right place....

GGGGRRRRR!!!! got pretty mad tonight, all set up watching the edge of the Moon, when WHHAAAMMMMM!!!!! Brand new security light installed by the neighbour blasted away the night. That's one on each side, one behind and one in front.I don't think these folks like the dark, I'll be having a word tomozzel,

Nick.

I think my neighbors have finally gotten used to the fact that they live next to an astronomer and that this isn't a dirty word. One side come out for the last smoke of the day about 2200 - 2300h and will often realise that they are not alone! If they show an interest and turn a few lights off I'll invite them over, but to be honest I prefer my own company.

Archived