The ultimate collapsible truss-based reflector

JamesF

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He seems honest with his description. Not the best ATM, but I think it was built with the spirit of a Dobsonian - Low cost. If it was really made in the 70's, a collapsible truss dob should be consider a great piece of innovation.

Will add this to my watch list to see how much this goes

Looks like dexion to me. I know it looks somewhat comical, but you do have to admire the ingenuity and resourcefulness of the builder. I've been trying to work out what the brass tube in the third image is. The only idea I can come up with is that it's part of the alt mechanism.

James

Have to admit it ! ... I laughed my face off when I saw it too, but then as you read the description and picture his Dad grinding the mirror by hand and scraping raw materials together, kind of started filling up a bit :cry:

Makes you feel like buying it, cleaning it up and giving it back as a keep sake. I'd love to hang on to something like that If my Dad had built it !

Many years back, I didn't get into astronomy because I couldn't find a decent scope I good afford.

Obviously such a minor obstacle did not stop this guy.

Well done.

I suspect that with the long FL, if he didn't ask too much magnification, he could probably get away with the collimation.

Amazing would love to rebuild it, if it doesnt go silly, the 7.5 inch david hind mirrored newt i have was apart from the mirror hand made, including helical focusers, mirror is going for recoat in two weeks, when i make a box for it. These old scopes are amazing things. I bet that mirror is 1/10 or better if he cared that much. Sad if it gets dropped into a tube with no soul.

Archived