NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noob alert :)

Sir Roderic Spode

Hey all, my names Matt, im 25 and live in east Lundun... but due to the aweful light pollution there I do my stargazing in Woking at my parents house :)

Im very new to astronomy, always had an interest in space but funnily enough got the urge to become an amater astronomer from playing a Space PC game called Eve Online :D ( And also Brian Cox ;) )

So I went out and got myself a Celestron Nexstar 8SE from the guys at Astronomia in Dorking, and have had good time so far.

However the last three nights of observing ive only seen andromeda (Which was amazing) and some very bright stars, but not had much luck with planets, so hoping to get some advice on here :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. To help you learn the sky and to also find some interesting celestial objects, you might want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium which you can view here. It's got lots of great features on it including an advance date/time feature so you know when objects are coming up and from where along with the ability to configure the program form your precise viewing location. There are plenty of other 'toys' available to keep you entertained when the clouds come in (....and stay in!)

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome Matt

Only a newbie myself but picking it up quite quickly - always been interested in space and the stars since i was very young but only bought my first telescope a few weeks back (i got a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT) but haven't had too many clear nights to use it

If you have an iPhone, i downloaded an app Sky Walk, which is pretty cool - if you hold your iPhone up to the sky it'll show you where every thing is (stars, constellations, planets, galaxies and even satellites) which is a great wee app for helping to align your scope also :D

Enjoy

Graham

Hi and welcome, Matt!

The 8SE is a nice scope (got one of those lovely orange tubes :)). I sometimes like to relax on a cloudy night by retreating to the quieter asteroid belts of Amarr hi-sec for some contemplative mining....get to see those nebula a bit larger in new eden than our RL space!

Archived