Newbie in the lounge

studiolightsphoto

Hello all, relative newbie to astronomy, but have had the bug bad for some time. I am an experienced photographer and I am very keen to move the hobby side of my photography into astrophotography. Very keen to chat with likeminded enthusiasts and looking forward to picking the brains of the more experienced members about the best kit to buy for my budget and what targets I can hope to capture with them.

Been wanting to explore astronomy for years but have only recently had the right work/life balance to indulge.

Looking forward to getting to know you all a little better over the coming months (and years) :)

Alan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Alan :)

relative newbie myself to astronomy although i've been interested in it most my life, i only just bought my first telescope a few weeks ago - unfortunately, cos of the weather, haven't had much chance to use it . . . . but am hoping to fall into the astrophotography end of it myself at some stage - although i don't have much experience with photography - but we're all learning something i guess :D

Graham

HI Alan and welcome to the forum. If you are heading in the direction of astrophotography, may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which you can view here. It is a comprehensive guide to what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will meet your own expectations. Any decent set up will have to start with the mount as it is its precision with tracking that will enable you to be able you to take the long exposures that are required for imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae. Also remember that collecting the required data to construct an image is only half the battle, the remaining half being the processing and whilst a lot of software out there is free to download, there are a couple of really good pieces of software that will inevitably require payment.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Archived