Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two hours on M31

Yoddha

Sooner or later everybody tries M31... Finally decided to it is time to make a first attempt. This is the last of the images taken on our summer astro party. 1730m above sea level are very tempting to try targets with fine detail :)

It becomes trickier than I expected. The framing is not the best one... Still can't manage to align the stacks of 1min and 2min exposures which cased a burned core and so on. But I'm happy with it so far. Maybe one day will re-process it again :)

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy

Imaging: WO ZS 110 triplet + WO FRIII 0.8x, Modified 550D, EM-200, APT (Astro Photography Tool), PHD

Guiding: WO ZS 66SD, DSI 1 Pro

Subs: 14x10min = 2h 40min, ISO 1600, no calibration - only dithering

Processing: DSS, PS CS3

44dc8e85-e32c-494d-80fe-701d5de63b7f_thumb.png

Hope that you like it :)

Very nice indeed, Ivo. Although the very inner part of the core is over exposed you have actually traced the inner spiral arms further into the core than most people manage. Impressive! The colour and resolution are super. I think the inner core is posterized though I don't really understand how that works. I'm sure it would be a simple matter to do a much softer stretch, just looking at the inner core and getting it smooth and rather less bright than this. Then just paste it as a layer underneath and softly erase to the posterized core of the top layer with a soft erasor at low opacity. That is a standard procedure for me on galaxies.

Olly.

Very nice indeed, Ivo. Although the very inner part of the core is over exposed you have actually traced the inner spiral arms further into the core than most people manage. Impressive! The colour and resolution are super. I think the inner core is posterized though I don't really understand how that works. I'm sure it would be a simple matter to do a much softer stretch, just looking at the inner core and getting it smooth and rather less bright than this. Then just paste it as a layer underneath and softly erase to the posterized core of the top layer with a soft erasor at low opacity. That is a standard procedure for me on galaxies.

Olly.

Thanks for the tip Olly - I'll try that :)

Thank you Farunj and MickyWay!

Yes, Rozhen is a very good place. It is not darker than my usual site, but altitude gives much... Also the atmosphere is great - one roll-off pavilion and 4 domes - one with 2m telescope which is still the biggest on the Balkans :)

Archived