Intro

billykendall

Hey everyone! New to the forum so I thought I would introduce myself. I am a total newbie/beginner to all of this, but my 7 yr old son and I are very excited about our brand new Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor Telescope. I know we have a lot to learn, but we are both willing and able to put forth the effort that is required to become experienced backyard astronomers! Any tips & tricks are always appreciated. Looking forward to some clear skies and beautiful celestial objects!

Billy Kendall

Plano, TX, USA

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Billy and welcome from another beginner. This is certainly the place to be for friendly help and advice. It must be great for you to have the enthusiasm of your son as well, I can imagine many "wow" moments to come.

(I don't know your part of the world but it sounds like you may get more clear skies than we do :shocked: )

Good luck

Jason

Hi Billy and a warm welcome to you and your son to SGL.

You might like to download a free program called Stellarium. You can set it for your location and your scope so it will show what you can see in the sky from your backyard and how it will look in your scope.

Clear skies

Luke

Hello Billy and welcome to SGL. Like your son, I got my first experience of astronomy with a scope aged 7, and whilst I've had lots of other hobbies and interests over the years, this is the one that I keep coming back to. I hope that you both enjoy it - there's certainly a lot to see up there!

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes everyone! Good news - we saw Saturn last night! Probably not a big deal to most, but we had been trying this the past 2 nights with little or no success but after really tweaking the finderscope and making some practice runs by locating objects during the day and switching out EPs and whatnot we were successful in viewing Saturn last night with the 20mm EP and then the 4mm EP and now we are hooked for sure! So amazing to see the rings around Saturn like that! Honestly one of the coolest things I have ever done and my 7 yr old son was absolutely astonished! He asked me at one point, "Is that the REAL Saturn, daddy?" LOL! Anyways, I know we are on the road to success now!

-Billy K

P.S. - michigander - we are both big time Rangers fans! :)

Archived