Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rho Ophiuchi Mosaic

Tom OD

Hi SGL,

This is something I've been trying to capture for 2 years now. I started in the South of France as its too low in Ireland. I wasn't happy with the data I got so I tried again from the south of Spain. Last year I maanged to get about 30hrs of data, but with it still being low in the sky, there were gradients and some bad signals in the data. So this summer I added a bit of data to each frame. I have eneded up with 60 hours of data, in 5 frames. The 5th central frame was needed as I had flaring from the bight Antares. It did help with the joining of some frames, but colour balance was difficult. From my site Rho reached a maximum of 26 degrees, and I tried to avoid imaging until it had reached 20 degrees. This is not the finished pic, there are sat trails and some pixels to fix still, but I've done enough today. Its in sRGB form, so not quite the format I want, and it still needs some tweaking for my tastes.

So its a 5 frame mosaic taken with a Tak 106N, and Atik 11000 on an EM200 where each frame has 12 hours of LRGB, at 3 hours per filter.

Data captured from May 2011 to June 2012, from the Almanzora valley in Spain.

Tom.

post-4679-0-06076800-1341186393_thumb.jp

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much, I'm lucky in that I can spend the time getting the data. The more the merrier. It didn't work the first two times, as there were horrible gradients in some of the panels which I ended up re-doing. Probably some high cloud or low fog that I couldn't see with the naked eye got in the way. It also needed extra hours to get a good signal at the low latitude. I really like the globulars spread out throughout the image. There is a bit of everything in this region.

Tom

Again thanks for the comments. I'm chuffed. I really need a new laptop for these mosaics. I'd like to use Pixinisght a bit more in building them up, but my laptop won't work on some of their functions (old 32bit). For this mosaic I managed to get a 5 pane Lum layer to work on as a single layer. The RGB layer was a separate layer too. Hats off to Registar for working at getting the layers to register to each other. The 2 mosaics I did I managd to stitich 4 individual LRGB frames together. Its something you dont want to restart but I'm happy that both methods do work. Not sure what would happen if it was a bigger mosaic, as to which method would be better.

Tom.

I got a "used" desktop from Morgans - an Intel core i5 CPU with 4GB RAM and 500GB HD to which I addeed another 500GB. It has Win 7 64 bit OS. Very nice machine - HP make and well built.

Archived