SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rho Ophiuchi Mosaic

Tom OD

Hi Gina,

Yes it needs to be 64 bitt and lots and lots of RAM! I was looking a tthe Dell Outlet store. I got mine from them years ago, and got a great discount as it was an unwanted return. I'll llook up Morgans, not sure if they are in Ireland. Need a laptop too sadly as I 'll have no way to bring a desktop to and from Spain. Its nice to be able to work on the pics when I'm home in Dublin.

T.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha Ha.

Mosaic the Milky Way is due in about 2015. I'll ask Olly if he can post a bigger version on his smug mug site. Flickr is limited to 1000x750 I think.

Tom.

This is now my favourite image of this region! WOW! Now you need to continue the mosaic to the milky way and get the Lagoon and Trifid in there ;) .

Are you able to post a link to a higher resolution version?

Jacob von Chorus

Trust me to be away from base when you posted this, Tom. I've been watching it grow over the years and this is exquisite. When one of the best imagers in the world points one of the best telescopes in the world at one of the most beautiful regions of sky visible from the world then the result is... like this!

Non imagers may not realize how difficult a picture this is to pull off. The nebulosity is faint, little more than background sky, and at high latitudes it falls prey to differential atmospheric refraction, light pollution, haze, the lot. Bringing it all together into a huge mosaic is a job for an expert. This would be tricky from the equator, never mind southern Spain.

I'll buy you a Duvel next visit!

Olly

Cheers everyone for the very generous comments (Duval on the way Olly). Olly may be able to put a bigger version on SmugMug. Next up is a Galactic center mosaic. I have a few panes for the lower section, but it won't reach to Rho. My laptop breathes a sigh of relief hearing that.

Tom.

This is now my favourite image of this region! WOW! Now you need to continue the mosaic to the milky way and get the Lagoon and Trifid in there ;) .

Are you able to post a link to a higher resolution version?

Jacob von Chorus

Tom has just asked if I can host a larger copy on my SmugMug gallery site, which of course I can and will - and, indeed, have done!! Voila;

http://ollypenrice.s...ra-curve-X3.jpg

Olly

I've been back to look at this picture three times now, and each time the number of stars and the dust lanes just blow me away. Raw dedication at its finest.

Archived