Hello from Northamptonshire

Bracken606

Hi, this is a quick introduction and a plea for help..

I live in Northamptonshire in a small town just on the southern border with Leicestershire. I have yet to buy a telescope and that is where my problem lies. I have got my decision (i think) down to the following two options but could use some experienced input to steer me in the right (if there is one) direction, or to any other scope.

1. Skywatcher Skyliner 250px Flextube Synscan Goto or

2. Celestron CPC 925 GPS (XLT)

For the price of the 250Px i can also add onto that several X-Cel LX eyepieces (or similar) to get to the same cost as the CPC with 1 supplied eyepiece.

I have no interest in AP despite owning an EOS20D, which is used for nature photography with a couple of Cannon 'L' Lenses, but may on the odd occaision go onto a T mount if a moon/planet shot looks good.

Which one would you suggest if you were in the market for a scope of this size.

Have i been wise to leave out refractors, are these better geared for imaging?

Apologies is this has been covered to death, a search didnt come up with this pairing option.

Many thanks,

Simon.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. If you are intending to image using a webcam, then nearly any scope attached to either an alt-azimuth or equatorial mount will work. However, you will be limited to imaging solar system objects such as the moon and planets as these objects are relatively bright and therefore do not require any accurate tracking because the webcam can take a huge number of exposures in very little time. The idea being is that you take the best 'frames' and stack them on top of each other using software called 'Registax' to construct a final composite image. Attempting to take a single exposure of ay the moon with your existing DSLR will be a hit and miss affair as you battle to secure a sharp image through many miles of turbulent earth atmosphere. However, if you have designs in imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies, that is when you will require a very accurate mount in order to provide yourself with enough time to 'capture' the faint light from these objects that will help you construct the final image. Equatorial type mounts are the preferred option as their tilted axis naturally follows the same curved pathway that celestial objects travel along as they progress across the sky, although it is possible to use an alt-azimuth arrangement if the mount itself can be similarly tilted backwards (using what's known as a wedge) which means that the Celestron 9.25 could be used but not the Skyliner as there is no way of adjusting its platform in a similar way.

So coming back to your suggestions above, if you are mainly observing with the occasional image of the moon then I would go with the Skyliner (+ webcam). If you are wanting to image DSO's then the Celestron can be used with an accurate wedge, but you might want to consider some easier options out their that will include the use of an equatorial mount with a refractor. Observing places different requirements on kit than those of imaging and it is difficult bringing those two together in one setup if you want the kit to perform well in both disciplines. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Hi Simon and welcome to SGL, I gather from your initial input you have nothing but a passing interest in AP, if you are sticking to mainly visual, then the larger aperture scope should come to the top of the list especially as additional quality lenses could be included in the deal. Cast your net into the Beginners help and advice section where you will, no doubt, get a wealth of helpful suggestions :)

John.

Hi Simon, welcome to SGL from another north Northants-based stargazer!

Your budget is key here as are your expectations around whether you *realistically* will want to do much imaging. Also whether you have a preference for viewing Deep Space Objects (DSOs) or planets.

If you really aren't that interested in AP then you ought to consider getting a dobsonian (can't go wrong with a SW Skyliner as per James' suggestion) as much more of what you pay go towards optics and not so much toward the mount - so you'll get to see more for your money. Also dobs are good allrounders ie. for viewing all types of objects.

The need for GoTo can be removed by learning your way around the skies, assisted by a guide book such as the excellent Turn Left At Orion. In fact this old skool method of celestial navigation can be extremely satisfying.

Whatever you get, enjoy!

Archived