Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the Southern Pacific ( not Australia :p )

TC_Fenua

Greetings everyone !

I would like to present myself : I'm 41 years old, work in a Pharmacy as an assistant, and live in Tahiti, French Polynesia. I like rally race with cars, mecanic ( tuning engines, suspension and the lot ), reading books and martial arts. Music is a great passion on mine also. And of course photography in general :)

I really like astronomy since I was a kid, always stargazing at night in a low light pollution suburb of Papeete with binoculars ( 10x80 Fujinon ). In 2003, I finally made the jump and bought my first telescope ( I was observing until then with the club's and friend's instruments ). It was really a magic moment ... Since then, I spent a lot of time observing the sky and learning how to find my bearings. I've done a bit of lunar and planetary imaging, but with my scope ( a C14 ), it was really hard to get a night with great seeing. So for a bit I moved to smaller equipment : a tripod, a DSLR and a lens :D

The thing is ... now I want more, and that's why I lurked this forum for some time now. I've found wealth of informations on setups, processing and celestial objects I didn't know. I'm on the market for a good CCD and a fast newton :D

Here are some pictures I took with my DSLR-Tripod setup ( images can be clicked for larger versions ):

6987634848_14f1f45652_b.jpg

Toward the South

7352592322_fd8657c473_b.jpg

Milky Way above my head ( Mosaic of 30+ pictures shot at 85mm, f/1.2, ISO 3200, exposure 8 sec

7109083503_50ef53dfd9_b.jpg

View from the garage

Those next ones with a telescope :

5981075080_c749983d10_o.jpg

2003 Mars opposition

7179423499_b3a7b28e3b_b.jpg

Venus Transit 2012

7159202017_53c26e6973_b.jpg

Venus Transit 2012

And some poor attempts at Deep Sky imaging, unguided ( yup, I need to learn how to do that ... ):

7355795774_8a01e763dc_b.jpg

Eta Carinae Nebula

7170583271_37e5e2b518_b.jpg

Lagoon Nebula

7355797102_1b2cc0b891_b.jpg

Omega Centauri Cluster

I hope to find here a new home :)

I searched everywhere, but didn't find the image posting guidelines ( maximum number of pictures in a topic, size, etc ), so feel free to warn me if I posted too much.

Teva

PS : I'm sorry about my poor grammar and spelling, but english isn't my native language ... :icon_redface:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What great pictures Teva, I certainly envy you the skies you have there in Tahiti, it must be wonderful to be able to see so much. Under skies like that I would be happy just to lay back and look at it visually.

Welcome to SGL and keep those pictures coming - excellent. :laugh: :laugh:

hey i know a girl that lives in papeete her name is vaimiti flohr. but probly her name changed since she got married. well i never been in the south pacific but shure would like to go snorkeling there sometime hehe... also dont forget the surfspots there like cloudbreak... your pictures look really spectacular, i bet you already have some fine equipment. now u only need to put in some time to learn how to master it. astronomy takes some time learning its awesome hobby. the limits are basically endless...

cheers mate

Hi TC-Fenua and welcome to SGL, there is not much more I can say about your skies and pictures from Tahiti other than Amazing, our imaging sections may provide the extra you need to bring out the best in your C14, we have a wealth of expertise among the forum members :)

John.

Archived