Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ultimate home telescope?

A little something to pass the time whilst the white fluffy things are still a bane to us!

If, within reason (we'll say £30k) money was not a limiting factor what would your ultimate home setup be?

It must all be available to order now (no custom stuff) and be suitable for set up at home, so no dome observatory in the middle of nowhere lol

I really don't know enough to list my actual setup but I'd be really interested to see other people's dream scope setup, just incase I win the lottery :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we have to stay in the house we are in (and suffer the LP I do!), I pretty much have my dream scope which is a 16" f4 solid tube dob. I'd like a few more eyepieces of course but I'll never get into imaging so I think what I have is good enough.

I'd add the following :

Really nice solar scope - one of the Lunt ones - about £2k

A few more Televue eyepieces - 31mm Nagler, 17mm Ethos, 24mm Panoptic, 16mm Nagler - £2k

A couple of really nice filters - Astronomik Hb, UHC and Oiii maybe £500

then put the rest in the bank and have a few holidays with my travel scope / family!

£30k might just squeeze it.

2 x Mesu 200

6 x fsq85

6 x atik 4000

and a very very long holiday at Ollys place :)

actually 30k wont come close :(

that is around 45k without reducers filters guides computers adapters, adapters and adapters.......

Considering the LP where I live, I think I'd put the scope in a van with a roll-off roof, so I could drive out to dark skies to observe. (And it CAN be used when the van's parked on front of the house, so it counts!)

For 30k you could get a second hand ridgid lorry with outriggers so no roll as you walk on the back and still have money to spend on a decent scope and pier mount it.

Kev.

If I could, I'd go classical and have a Skylight 6" F15 on a solid pier (or something like it with with an 8" objective). Or for some bling and a bit flashier (but maybe not any better) an Officina Stellare Hiper 152 on an ASA DDM direct drive mount.

Actually, I;d just settle for a couple of clear nights ;).

I'd go for a 20" or 25" Dob - or whatever size I could get for the 30K. That would be fantastic here, no LP to worry about (except when the moon is out!).

Sam the Wairarapa New Zealand ,,, Woaw mate ! .. was born in Martinbourough .

I have o house i Naples St .

Small world , and yes dark skies down there .,, woaw .

Brian.

Mmmm £30K - expensive equipment is all very well, but it's no substitute for dark skies. With a £30K windfall I'd be thinking about moving house or holidays to darker areas? You could buy a country house in Bulgaria for that.

Archived