SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello From Paul in Dorset

PTone

Hi All

Ever since childhood I have been an interested, inactive, armchair astronomer with an interest but very little understanding in the subject. Now that I have a bit more time on my hands I want to go as deep as I can into the subject, so last year I joined our local astronomy society and I have bought a second hand ‘project’ scope and all its associated equipment.

It includes a Meade 8" f/10 LX90 GOTO scope, pier, wedge and two ccd CCTV cameras and Starry Night Pro software. I’ve just built an ‘observatory’ which is a homemade wooden 6x4 shed with a roll off roof but I have not yet put the electrics into it

My main interest is imaging, particularly of nebulae, deep sky objects and galaxies. Some of the images I have seen in the magazines and websites are fantastic and I would love to be able to get similar images when I have learnt how to do it.

I don’t think the CCTV cameras will be up to the job so will post a query in the forum to find out what the more knowledgeable folks think.

However I am very heavily involved in ‘terrestrial’ photography as another major hobby. I have Canon 5D2 and 50D cameras and wonder if either of these will be better to use than the CCTV cameras. I would rather not spend any more money in the likes of an Atik, SBIG etc unless I really have to as I would like to get the whole system working before I spend/commit more money to it.

So in an nutshell I guess I have got most of the gear needed to help me learn the subject and to help me take images but I am starting right out at the beginning so will appreciate the knowledge from the other folks on the forum

All the best

Paul

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Paul and welcome to the forums.

I'm strictly a visual observer so can't help you out with your questions but lots of others on the forums should be able to. Sounds like you have a good set up to start with so I'll wish you success on your journey through the cosmos and the forums.

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL.

I think you'll find that either of the Canons would be great for imaging. Canons seem to be very popular with imagers and are very well supported by astro manufacturers. You might want to get hold of a copy of "Making every photon count" by Steve Richards. It could save you a lot of time, effort and money.

If you have any questions or queries you can post them in the Beginners help and advice forum. Someone will always know the answer, at least that's been my experience.

I look forward to seeing your images.

Luke

Hi Paul

A warm welcome to the SGL it is ok to put Dorset UK it help when speaking about a area and skies ect

best of luck with it all I also have the LX90 8" ACF great scope I use mine for visual

so clear skies

Doug

Archived