Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding Worked!!! M51

Astrosurf

At long last my autoguiding worked. I was with the Chipping Norton group, CNAAG, at the Rollright stones last night with Mel Gigg and Robin Smitten. I managed to take 28 subs before the bright Moon really washed things out. They're 3 mins long at ISO 1600. My camera isn't modded so there's a lot of noise. I've tried to stack it as well as I can (with only 1 hour's sleep, so really groggy!) so any advice would be most welcome. I've cropped the image.

Alexxx

EDIT: Er, where's my image. I clicked attach! Trying again . . .

Nope, no go and no error message. Will see if I have flash 9 . . . ( this is REALLY annoying!)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downloaded the latest Adobe Flashplayer and rebooted but no luck. Tried the advanced uploader but I don't think that's loading fully as there are no buttons to click! Will try in IE rather than Firefox. This is silly!

Well done Alex let's hope your auto guiding is now sorted, that was a very enjoyable imaging session last night.

It looks like what we saw was an ATV (Automated Transfer Vehicle) ten minutes ahead of the ISS by the way.

I've just started working on the Crescent Nebula image so hopefully I post that later.

Mel

Well done Alex :) I had a problem uploading yesterday or the day before tried several times with both uplosders and eventually it worked. I'm using Firefox too.

Really sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but this caught me out for ages when this new forum first came out - are you pressing 'Add to Post' after uploading the image? You have to do this! I wish someone had told me the other day when I nearly threw the laptop out of the living room window in frustration! D'oh! :)

Well, it just says Attach This File. Then nothing happens so I don't even have the Add to Post option if it comes up. It's something to do with Firefox as I'm having other problems as well. It might need a re-install!

Well done on getting the auto guiding working I hate guiding its such a pain to set up and usually the clouds move in just as I have got it all working.

It certainly is a dark art. I've become rather superstitious and am becoming convinced there are astronomy gods! They're very mischievous and like to irritate amateur astronomers with clouds escaping from newly-opened kit, clouds crossing a guide star just as guiding gets going, kit going wrong and all the other things that happen to set us tearing our hair out! The swearing and hair tearing are as prayers to these gods. Best not to get on the wrong side of them. They seemed to like me last night! :grin:

Yes it can feel like that lol you spend hours getting it all set up and then a thin layer of clouds makes your guide star disappear from view I take my hat off to everyone else who masters the dark art. I still cant tear myself away from doing short subs and staying light and portable.

Well, it just says Attach This File. Then nothing happens so I don't even have the Add to Post option if it comes up. It's something to do with Firefox as I'm having other problems as well. It might need a re-install!

How odd. I'm running Firefox and no probs here. What OS are you on? I'd have a word with an admin if I were you, on the bugs n fixes thread, they might be able to do something?

I've quietly followed your exploits for some time now. Congratulations well deserved. If that's at 1000mm then it's no mean feat.

You do realise you have to do this each time ?? :cool:

Dave.

After all the trouble you had at SGL7, im glad you finally got it sussed. What was the issue you fixed in order to get good guiding?

Um, dunno. I think it was a combination of lack of wind and cloud, luck and the astronomy gods!

Archived