And the current forecast for the Venus transit is...

JamesF

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to use the poor weather as an excuse, but it looks like I will have to just come clean as it's looking very good for the North East.

After research into a good local viewpoint turned up nothing I can walk to, I have decided to catch it on TV later. At 4am my brain will be dead to the world and I don't trust myself to drive like that, just not an early bird. The world will go on, my astronomy career will not come to an end, my solar telescope will not pack it's mount and leave me.

Hope the pouring rain doesn't impede other's attempts to see it!

I have given up and decided that I will not be able to view the transit at all in person. The poor forecast has made me cancel my planned trip to nearby Keele Observatory. Nout I can do now so I will just have to watch it online instead, oh well :clouds2:

I'm currently languishing near St. Ives in Cornwall. Despite viewing every weather chart I can find, it would appear I would have a greater chance of success in St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, which is 12 miles from my normal aboad. However, as that chance would appear to equally close to zero, I don't feel too hard done by.

That said, as my three year old awakes to the dawn chorus, I will at least make the effort to twitch the curtains. I never thought there'd be an advantage to his sleep regime, with the obvious exception of the winter months.

Russell

Sent from my iPad

I have given up and decided that I will not be able to view the transit at all in person. The poor forecast has made me cancel my planned trip to nearby Keele Observatory. Nout I can do now so I will just have to watch it online instead, oh well :clouds2:

Thats a shame, you should reconsider - and check out local conditions around 3am, like me ! met office predictions for 0100-0400 are improving from expecting grey this morning, mist at 0100 and partly cloudy at 0300 ! I'll take that !

I've dismantled my scope ready for transport, and stacked up my kit. my dratted dslr has stopped recognising fresh batteries, though, so if it happens for me, it will either be webcam or eyeses :D

Sunny sunny! After days of mixed weather it is actually sunny this morning! Captured the very start and now venus is well in there. A few dark clouds coming across now so might not get the end, but glad to have seen it.

Think I'll take my jacket off now, it's getting a bit warm now the sun's come up ;-) (winter here)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 2

It's raining here. Meteoblue says 100% cloud cover, or practically for every layer. Forecast for 4:00am is rain and 7:00am is White Cloud, I wasn't able to see it anyway due to not being at all near a suitable site and not having the transport, but it appears me ordering a new eyepiece today has caused this weather, I am truly sorry everyone.

Archived