Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6888 Crescent Nebula 314L+ First Light

ianaiken

Here is my first light with the Atik 314L+ and 80 ED DS-PRO. I am very impressed with the combination. The build quality of the Atik is second to none, far superior than QHY and doesn't feel like it will break if you look at it wrong - but then I guess this is why there is a significant price difference.

I was having problems with guiding and seeing was poor (QHY5 finder guider on HEQ5 with all this kit on is pushing it :() , so out of the 12 subs I took on both the 314L+ and the QHY8L only 5 subs from each were usable. Unfortunately it looks like the season is over for me until August so I won't be able to capture any more data (unless the upcoming Friday is clear - well I live in hope).

Pic 1: Ha

Pic 2: RGB

Pic 3: HaRGB with Ha combined in PS CS5 on the red channel with blend lighten at 50%. Ha also added to image as Luminosity at 10%. I'll be giving PI a whirl once I get my head round pixel math.

Stacked and processed in PI with some final tweaks and saving as JPG from CS5.

Kit Used:

100 ED DS-PRO with QHY8L: 5x600s with LPS Filter

80 ED -DS-PRO with Atil 314L+: 5x600s with Baader Ha 7nm

I was aiming for at least 12 subs on each camera!

Thanks for looking.

post-27742-133877781343_thumb.jpg

post-27742-133877781351_thumb.jpg

post-27742-133877781361_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy - many thanks! You won't be disappointed with the camera. It's a no fuss camera and feels solid and performed without error all night unlike it's friend on the other scope. I didn't use darks... okay, that's a lie, they were 5 seconds long mainly to capture bias and hot pixels defect map.

What a wonderful first light! :( You must be very pleased with that :( That's the camera and filters I shall be aiming for when I have saved up enough. The 314L+ certainly seems a good camera.

Ian, that's a great image, especially for relatively few subs - you've processed the image really nicely as well bringing out a lot of the star field behind the nebula. I've also got the Atik 314L+, had it for over a year now and it's not missed a beat, performs flawlessly.

Good first light Ian.

You say about weight on the HEQ5 - What do you have on it at any one time? I ask as I have the following on mine and there seems no protests from the HEQ5 so far, which would make me wonder if weight is your issue.

SW120ED Pro with Moonlite focuser

Pentax 75 SDHF

Atik 314L+ and filter wheel

Dual mounting bar

Altair Astro finder / guider package and QHY5

I have worked this out to weighing about 15kgs (I will get a more accurate weight when I take it all off to service the mount later in June)

Gina, Martin - thanks for the feedback :( the camera is really great well worth it and I am pleased I got it. I am very pleased with the Ha image and its sensitivity. I'm really looking forward to getting more than 50 mins data on this target. Well recommended (now I know why Olly likes Atik's so much)

Sara - Be prepared for a brain splurge:

100ED DS-PRO, 80 ED DS-PRO, ADM Dual Bar, finder scope with QHY5, Atik 314L+ on the 80 and QHY8L on the 100 with two 0.85 SW FR on each scope plus spacers. That's it.

I cannot drift align (haven't tried yet, can't see low to the horizon in any direction. Could be a polar alignment.

I had some cables dangling when I had issues, now these are fastened up out of the way to stop any tugging.

I believe my balance was good.

I tried using both PHD and AA5. AA5 seemed to work quite well, I couldn't say better than PHD although RA didn't seem to wander randomly at times.

I am guiding on a finder guider and have set to only guide when 0.13 of motion is detected. This is what I need to achieve on the finder so I don't see any movement on the 100ED that has the QHY8L attached. Maybe this is too much for a finder. I set exposure to 2.5s in PHD, and I think in AA5 its just 1s. Seeing was not great.

I have altered RA Hys and RA Aggr after reading some posts and actually got much better results. RA Hys was set to 20 from 10, and RA Hys erm... not sure I think 110. This seemed to work much better than 100 and 10. Max movement for RA and DEC is 150.

post-27742-133877781622_thumb.jpg

Thanks all that's encourging. I will do some more testing over the summer in prep for the winter. Sara you mention servicing your mount, do you have a guide for this?

Lastly, I just realised I didn't flip the images before posting so the orientation is not right argh sorry.

Hi Ian,

Super pics. Sorry your having equipment woes, there is nothing more frustrating than finding the time to image, findinding a clear night within that shedule then having to work round the equipment glitches.

Just wondering your have made references to the Atik & the QHY. in your opion why has there been issues.

cheers

Steve

Unfortunately lots of images are missing from old threads since the board upgrade. It's a pity, as I like to look at some of the old threads in the observatory builds section.

I think it's uploaded images, rather than image links.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the images are back now? I can see them. I'm on astro holiday so didn't see this earlier sorry about that.

... Sorry your having equipment woes, there is nothing more frustrating than finding the time to image, findinding a clear night within that shedule then having to work round the equipment glitches.

Just wondering your have made references to the Atik & the QHY. in your opion why has there been issues.

My reference to Atik and QHY are that, with Atik you pay more but in the end you get a solid product that has better build quality and from what i see better QA in the manufacturing process. Also, the driver appears to be much more stable. Although I have not used the Atik as much as the QHY the Atik has not faultered once and is easy to turn on and shoot. Now the QHY, it's a great piece of kit for the price and does a great job but I have issues with USB disconnects and camera hangs (i.e. cannot take a picture, need to go through the lengthy disconnect process of "rebooting" the camera, first unplug the TEC from power, then unplug tec from camera, then unplug usb from camera and reconnect in reverse order - bit of a faf). Also the CCD sensor came with dust on it which is always nice. So the dust remains and is removed using flats not a big deal but I suspect a reflection on QA. I am happy with both cameras, both suiting my needs and budget but the QHY cannot be left unattended with great confidence, much like a 2 year old.

I couldn't be doing with a dodgy camera like that, particularly with all that faffing about. When I get an astro CCD camera it'll be an Atik (probably 314L+). Take longer to save up for but no doubt worth the wait :)

Archived