Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

150mm F/8 Refractor with hidden talents ......

John

I just thought I'd post a couple of hastily taken pics of my new toy before I "first light" it. The Skywatcher 150mm F/8 is in the dark blue colour scheme that's normally found in the USA and Canada. The pics make the tone look lighter than really is.

The focuser is a Moonlite CF2 dual speed but the secret weapon is hidden inside the focuser - an Aries Chromacor II which was been matched with this particular scope by Markus Ludes of APM Telescopes in Germany nearly a decade ago. The diagonal is an Intes 2" which the Chromacor's were originally designed to be used with although other diagonals can be used with appropriate spacing adjustment.

The Chromacor is a special optical correcter which addresses both chromatic and spherical aberration. The results can be quite impressive as I found when I paired a Chromacor I with a 6" F/8 a couple of years back. The Chromacor II is claimed to be even more effective ...... we will soon see ;)

Many thanks to fellow SGL'er NAZ for bringing this scope across the country for me on his way to his hols - he's much safer than any courier and much nicer to chat to :)

Got to go, the sky is clear and darkening ........

post-12764-133877775286_thumb.jpg

post-12764-133877775293_thumb.jpg

Lovely setup John, I have pretty much the same setup,

dark blue 150mm skywatcher with a moonlight and a

Chromacor. Great setup, its stunning on the moon with

binoviewers and on the sun with a herschel wedge.

Look forward to reading your first light.

Kathleen

Thanks for all the comments folks. The Moonlite focuser is off the scope for a time as one of the four bearings is shot - Moonlite in the USA are proving responsive in sourcing a replacement though so that should be sorted soon.

I've had the objective out of the scope for cleaning. The external surfaces were fine but there were a few particles between the lens elements that I wanted to tidy up. A 150mm doublet is quite a hefty piece of glass (pieces of glass) so that needed some care as did re-assembly and re-fitting. For a decade old optic, the objective is in great shape now :)

I'll post some performance reports when I've enough experience with the scope to say something sensible about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived