hello passing people

amalthea

Hello. I'm amalthea (after the moon of Jupiter), my real name is Malene, but you can call me whatever you want.

I only have a general interest in astronomy and things related, I'm not very knowledgable scientifically/factually speaking. The universe is so beautiful, and it both fascinates me and scares me. I'm saving up to buy a telescope so I can look at the stars at night, and maybe spot Jupiter and it's Galilean moons.

This looks like a nice and relaxed place, I hope to get along with everyone. See you around. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Malene and welcome to the forum. To help you understand the constellations and where of some of the these exciting objects are, why not download a free planetarium software program called "Stellarium" which you can view here. Easy to use with lots of great features including a date/time advance facility that will show you when objects will become available above the horizon. You can also configure it to show the night sky from you location. Hope that gets you off to a good start.

Clear skies

James

Hi Malene and welcome to the forum. To help you understand the constellations and where of some of the these exciting objects are, why not download a free planetarium software program called "Stellarium" which you can view here. Easy to use with lots of great features including a date/time advance facility that will show you when objects will become available above the horizon. You can also configure it to show the night sky from you location. Hope that gets you off to a good start.

Clear skies

James

Thank you, that's really helpful!

And thanks for everybody's kind welcomes. :D

Hi Marlene and welcome - don't worry too much about what knowledge you do or don't have; a few months on the forum will have your head spinning with facts!

But the most important thing to us all (I think) is a love of the night sky, so that is all you need to be very welcome here.

Hi Malene and welcome to SGL, I would second what Toxo has said, a pair of good binoculars will show you the moons of Jupiter and so much more than you could ever see with the naked eye, this will open up a whole new World for you :D

John.

Hi and welcome hold on tight,as when it gets dark ,you will become obsessed with the weather, the moon will never look the same again wow moments ,will be on a nightly thing, 4years in and the moon still calls me when it's out,Jupiter is magical most planets are mars at the min is nice and Venus is so bright in the east it's unreal

Sgl is a great place

Archived