Hi and Thanks

Mark1970Vintage

I'm breaking cover and registered !!

I've been lurking for a few months while I've been researching scopes. I've founds loads of useful information and spent some interesting time browsing galleries and understanding (or trying to) the techy talk.

What has been specifically useful has been beginners advice on pro/cons of different scopes and peoples opinion on what's good/not so good.

I think I am finally decided on a Sky Watcher Explorer 150p and now I'm umming an arring about going for the Eq3 Pro vs the EQ3/2 and a future upgrade to drives and synscan. (I'm currently edging towards the EQ3 Pro as it works out £70 cheaper than future upgrades... plus all the complexity of fitting it... i've read those threads)

I've just got a copy of Turn Left At Orion and coupled with a few iPhone apps am enjoying taking my rudimentary sky knowledge to the next level (just with the naked eye for now) until my scope arrives. I hope to pull the trigger in the next few weeks after I've got some more brownie points with my wife.

Thanks again for all the info so far... I'm sure it's only the start of many more questions I'll have.

M.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark and welcome

That sounds like a good setup to start with.

The eq3 is a good mount but if you think that you will upgrade to 'goto' then it would be better to buy the eq3 synscan now ( if the budget can be stretched).

If you are thinking that you might be looking to upgrade to a 200mm scope then the eq5 is another good option.

Good luck

Hi Mark and welcome

That sounds like a good setup to start with.

The eq3 is a good mount but if you think that you will upgrade to 'goto' then it would be better to buy the eq3 synscan now ( if the budget can be stretched).

If you are thinking that you might be looking to upgrade to a 200mm scope then the eq5 is another good option.

Good luck

Grandad, The thought about the eq5 and future 200p has crossed my mind.... But I am managing to resist that temptation.... Based on the time to accumulate the brownie points.

Archived