Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally the sun came out!

Kaptain Klevtsov

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of activity there KK. Thats pretty impressive if thats what you can actually see!

It is what you can see through a Pst :D,It is amazing the way you can tune in between surface detail and proms .

It certainly makes a nice change to be outside in the sun with a scope.

i had a go myself yest. Must admit it was tough trying to get anything

I found i could focus better with the Barlow lense.

I think in short practise is going to be needed.

One of the procedures i am trying at the moment is to get the sun how i want in in the Ha intensity (using the wheel) use it to ID any promiences or other activity.

Once there use the webcam, and play with only the focus?

Does this sound like a game plan?

I am also using Nero Vision Express to capture the images.

Still learning as i said. I have some images, but nothing worth posting as they are mere red discs lol

going to take kit to london next weekend (indeed whereever i go away for the weekend, this kit comes!) and try then

So what this space

Nice image KK. Certainly shows our life giver to be performing the task of keeping us out of the dark and warm too. I like those fingers of power stretching out into space Great stuff, and more importantly, it keeps you from seething when the night sky is rubbish. :(

Good stuff lad.

Ron. :)

Hi KK

With the barlow lens I have heard that some people are not using the full tube of a barlow but just the lens at the front unscrewed and fitted onto the 16 HR - Is this how you do it ? or are you using the full barlow setup ? I have a 16HR-C and PST Ha and all I get is a red circle with no detail on it at all - do you have any focussing advice ?

I just use the lens bit without the tube. This screws onto the nosepiece (custom shortened version) to get the full disc.

Focussing? Is that a pain in the but or what? You can't go binned as the chip saturates, you can't do full image as it takes weeks.

Get the disc centred and then select a smallish sub-frame. Set the Atik software to auto-stretch and twiddle away. the best focus is when you get the biggest difference between the maximum and minimum on the sliders. Fiddle with the log slider and twiddle the focuser, that's how I do it, and only capture images when it works (secret tip, don't tell anybody). :(

Kaptain Klevtsov

I just sawed mine off so that I could use a focal reducer with the Newt. Moving the FR nearer the chip means that you get less reduction, but more importantly it moves the focus point out. Without the chopped down nosepiece there wasn't enough in travel with the Newt. hence the modification. With the PST, you can't get enough focus travel to use the camera without using a Barlow lens, but I found that the image was ever so slightly too big for the chip using the standard nosepiece with the Barlow bit screwed on the end. Using my pimped up nosepiece I can get the whole disc on the chip and acheive focus as well.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived