NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What was your first purchase..

..after the telescope that is.

Reading up and looking around here, ones shopping list can be endless but for those who purchased a first "non toy" scope, what was the first thing bought?

EP's?

I have a new SW 200P EQ5 and I am telling myself.....you dont need anything for some time fella....but I keep on looking at the EP's, you know, getting ready for the moment when I am weak, telling myself the stock EP's cannot be much.....go on...upgrade now:)

I will refrain, I will find my feet first but I can see the EP's being an easy and predictable 1st purchase.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mine was a 90deg diagonal, a 6mm ep and a 2x barlow.

still on my wishlist is a dual speed crayford focuser and, for nights out camping with mates, a zoom ep so i don't have to muck about dropping eps in the campsite grass

When I bought my first scope I got a Cheshire and a moon filter at the same time. After that I bought a 6.4mm Plossl, which is a nice eyepiece but I can't use it due to the short eye-relief (didn't know that at the time). After that, a Rigel QuikFinder, top accessory for me, I could not do without it.

I used binoculars for a long while, learnt the sky, learnt a little about the cosmos and the such. Have gradually returned to the sky again and for some months have been saving for my first telescope which I may buy tonight or tomorrow morning.

A long exposure modified SPC900 webcam was my first purchase after the 'scope. (Less than 3 weeks later in fact).

And with the useless skies I have here, it turned out to be a godsend :D

I've seen lots more with it than I otherwise would have.

Got the scope in 82 and that Christmas was given a Trion Sky Atlas 2000 desk edition. 30 years later, its still going strong and has been a great help to me locating many DSOs over those years. Though a bit tattered, it still goes with me wherever the scope goes.

Back then I wondered if the hobby (and atlas) would survive by 2000 and it did and probable both will outlive me, Wow, how time flies.

Zoom eyepiece. I didn't know what I wanted or even what oculars were! What the quality was like or who to buy this stuff from. Lady luck was shining on me and this first bit of kit was outstanding (well it was then!!)...

Hi, a cheshire eyepiece, followed by a SW 2" PanaView ep and then the Celestron Eyeopener kit like LukeSkywatcher, I have since bought a right-angled finder and many individual eyepieces and filters, and another telescope!

Archived