Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky at Night

bish

Did anybody see themselves on the S@N last night? There were a couple of people I know. We were all interviewed but only one of us made the cut. The other chap was seen poking his head out of the tent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! We are cursed yes!! The star camp was a washout it seems - However, we were luckier in Liverpool as that night it had been pouring down torrential whilst we were driving over from the chap with the 30" scopes house to the sidewalk event but lo and behold just before we got there - completely clear skies! I think the previous bad weather may have put lots of people off - it was still quite busy though.

Glad you enjoyed the show - extended version on BBC4 on Thursday don't forget! :))

https://twitter.com/#!/Keaton_S

I saw it last night too. good show I thought.

We were at Kielder during the filming - my bit ended up on the cutting room floor - but Antoinette (My olther half) made it in. She was mortified (secretly delighted). I guess the ugly fat bloke lost out to an attractive woman again.......

They did show some shots of us pottering around though - and some of my images...

I enjoyed the prog, which I watched this evening, having recorded it.

It's great the Sky at Night presenters get out to amateur's star party events.

The amateurs deserve recognition for the contribition they make to Astronomy.

I wonder if Paul Abel, and Pete Lawrence actually slept in those tents, they seemed to be pleased to be at Kielder :).

Ron.

........However, we were luckier in Liverpool as that night it had been pouring down torrential whilst we were driving over from the chap with the 30" scopes house to the sidewalk event but lo and behold just before we got there - completely clear skies! I think the previous bad weather may have put lots of people off - it was still quite busy though.

We were very lucky, at the Sidewalk event, considering that the forecast was for cloud and I am glad that the forcast did not put the 200 visitors off! Of course they were also very pleased to see that the Sky at Night were there actually filming and that they would appear on the 'telly'.

Recently many comments were made, regarding Star Gazing Live, that they did not cover the work done by the amateur astronomer and I believe that the Sky at Night has now covered this topic well.

On behalf of the Liverpool Astronomical Society I would like to thank the 'crew' of Sky at Night for the excellent potrayal of the amaetur astronomer and our society.

Regards from David Galvin.

I really enjoyed the programme. I did think that the mirror on the big scope at Kielder could use a good clean though.

Made me alot less paranoid about the small specks on my mirrors!

I was pleasantly surprised to see myself in one of the shots of the astro stalls up in Kielder Castle. A very small claim to fame, however one I'm proud of :-)

My only concern is whether this will mean the slots at Kielder Star Camps get snapped up faster now in the future!

cs,

- Jason

The best thing about the latest episode of S@N was the fact that SPM mentioned that you dont even need a scope or bins to enjoy the night sky.

Your eyeballs do a great job.

Possibly the best ever episode.................EVER?

Maybe it was just me.................but i detected a hint of SPM saying farewell to us all................as if he has plans to retire.

Did anyone else detect that sentiment?

There was a shot of my dslr on a tripod, then me blubbering on about bieng a novice when i first attended kielder 3 years ago...

Well it was the night of the great beer disapearance from my van.:D

Was nice of pete and paul to come back later on and have a beer and a laugh.

cheers steve

The best thing about the latest episode of S@N was the fact that SPM mentioned that you dont even need a scope or bins to enjoy the night sky.

Your eyeballs do a great job.

Possibly the best ever episode.................EVER?

Maybe it was just me.................but i detected a hint of SPM saying farewell to us all................as if he has plans to retire.

Yup, I was expecting him to come out and say it. I wonder though who will take over when he does go? Pete, Paul, Chris? Brian Cox? Brian May?! The possibilities are endless. No doubt the beeb will just scrap it, however!

Well, would you want to be still (technically) working when your 89?!

Great programme, especially for the newbies on the block.

It was nice to see what Alan Chapman looks like, I love his book 'Gods of the Sky' and his explanation of what amateur means was brilliant!

Interesting guys - I got the same feeling too. I guess he can't go on forever - he has just had his 89th I think.

Regards

Rob

Perhaps he'll announce it on the 55th anniversary? However, it'll be a shame for him to go whilst still alive, but who knows. It is up to him in the end. Or perhaps we're just bad at reading signs/emotions/etc!

Ha! We are cursed yes!! The star camp was a washout it seems - )

Nope just those night when the bbc were there!

I wonder if Paul Abel, and Pete Lawrence actually slept in those tents, they seemed to be pleased to be at Kielder .

Ron.

They did Ron and it was hilarious to watch them trying to put them up themselves.

Enjoyed it very much, Kielder looks an amazing location...without the rain and cloud though

Without the rain and cloud it wouldn’t be Kielder!

I really enjoyed the programme. I did think that the mirror on the big scope at Kielder could use a good clean though.

The mirror was cleaned before the cameras got there but being an open tube in an open turret it gets mucky quick!

My only concern is whether this will mean the slots at Kielder Star Camps get snapped up faster now in the future!

cs,

- Jason

Definately, so if anyone is thinking of going to the Autumn event book now or you will be disappointed.

[quote name=LukeSkywatcher

I did get that feeling too. Also I noted he made a particular point about the importance of amateur astronomers, just before pointing out Mr Lintott was a pro! Maybe Mr Lintott clearly fancies the job and SPM isn't quite so approving? I think he'd be ok though.

I wonder how the format would change, though. Presumably, with SPM gone, they'd be free to do it in a studio again rather than his house, or even do them all on location. Just as long as the beeb don't be the beeb and move someone like Jake Humphrey to be presenter!!!

Archived