SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night

bish

Maybe it was just me.................but i detected a hint of SPM saying farewell to us all................as if he has plans to retire.

Did anyone else detect that sentiment?

He didn't look in the best of health. Being 89 no doubt takes it toll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, it'll be a shame for him to go whilst still alive, but who knows.

I think I'd prefer him to retire and enjoy his last few years of astronomy and writing without being beholden to filming commitments rather than die "on the job", as it were. This week was the first Sky at Night I've watched for at least a couple of years and I was actually somewhat shocked by how old and tired he seems now.

Naturally Sir Patrick will continue to do what he wishes and nobody will try to push him if he wants to stay, though a retirement would be easier to follow than a bereavement for any potential successor. Look at the trouble there was trying to find a successor to Richard Whiteley on Countdown, and he hadn't been doing that show half as long as Sky at Night!

Their is an extended (an hour long) version of the episode on Saturday if anyone is interested.

Sir Patrick is certainly looking VERY tired these days, but I still do love to see him. I just hope he doesn't feel obligated to carry on with the Sky At Night, I hope he's doing it because HE wants to do it, and not because he feels he ort to do it.

They showed quite a bit more of kielder presenter chat but little more of us astronomers.

They did show my ag8 in a nightime shot this time though. My other half was the red head talking about how dark it was. The brief shot of the black lab was us too.

Regards

Rob

Watched both standard an d extended , almost got a feel of stargazing live about it.be good if a revamped s@n had more of starparty's and equipment reviews ect. By the way the upcoming episodes sound like a must watch.

I enjoyed it last night, but yes he doesnt look all that well, mind you Alan Chapman from Ox Uni looked and sounded half pished. Had they both been on the sherry or what?

Anyone seen that programme after it, about James May being over with the USAF and going up in the U2 spy plane to the edge of a space? That was pretty good.

I enjoyed it last night, but yes he doesnt look all that well, mind you Alan Chapman from Ox Uni looked and sounded half pished. Had they both been on the sherry or what?

Anyone seen that programme after it, about James May being over with the USAF and going up in the U2 spy plane to the edge of a space? That was pretty good.

Allan Chapman has always been like that when I have seen him on the TV. It's either just his manner, or a put on for the camera.

Allan Chapman has always been like that when I have seen him on the TV. It's either just his manner, or a put on for the camera.

Has he really? I hadnt noticed before, I've seen him on a couple of history of science progs in the past.

A modicum of "lubrication" never detracted from the scientific process? LOL. Let's face it, Brian Cox tweets endlessly about his student-like, Nine-'til-Three, "Curry and Bottle of Wine", lifestyle. For me, one of his more (few) endearing qualities... :D

A modicum of "lubrication" never detracted from the scientific process? LOL. Let's face it, Brian Cox tweets endlessly about his student-like, Nine-'til-Three, "Curry and Bottle of Wine", lifestyle. For me, one of his more (few) endearing qualities... :headbang:

I do my best AP while out camping or at star parties after a few cans of beer, the images are much clearer !!! :D

Maybe, he is just saying it before its too late.

the most remarkable part of the program where he says he has tried to inspire people into the interest of astronomy and the blatantly says he hopes he has, my immediate reaction was to applaud the modesty of the man!

and I think that there would be enough presenters on the program at the moment without bringing in a "front man"

Allan Chapman had throat cancer a year or two back - and his voice is not quite the same these days...

Callum

Archived