Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New from Shropshire

Miranda

Hi everyone ;)

So, had a hesitant interest in astronomy for a long while, but its only recently that I have sparked my interest at learning more.

The spark was my DSLR, and my attempts at trying to get better at using my camera. I've seen some great moon photos with simple lenses and gave it a go and wow!

Whilst playing around and seeing what snaps I could get I realised I had taken (badly and very fuzzy looking) photos of Mars! I had to do a big girlie squeal in my garden that I had taken a snap at Mars (I'm still incredibly excited about this), not bad for a cheap DSLR and a 200mm lens!

So I've been out most nights (when its clear) to explore the Moon and its geography, Mars and shiny Jupiter and Venus, along with working my way around the other stars and my old planisphere.

Have to say, I find it deeply fascinating and breath-taking. ;)

At the moment I just have sheer enthusiasm to learn more and try to take pics at what I can. Tonight I noticed that Venus wasnt a nice round shape and google told me all about Venusian phases! How amazing!

Sorry, very exuberant and utterly fascinated with all this starry stuff, and can't wait to learn more here, although you'll have to apply the KISS motto with me :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend in the local astro-soc (which I will get to visit, always clashes with work typically!) who has advised me on forgetting about telescopes and to get a nice pair of binos (or bins, what a silly word for them!).

Its just far too tempting to get a telescope though isn't it!

So, currently searching and reading up about binos and not what I can hook up to my DSLR.

I have to say, everyone here seems so nice and friendly and really open to share knowledge and joy of something so simple as looking up. Completely refreshing, especially for a male dominated hobby. Some of the photography forums I have experienced would have a lot to learn from you guys here!

If you want a scope get one. I wanted one since I was very young and never quite found bins satisfying. It isn't prescriptive bins suit some people but they are not as satisfying as my scope at least for me. whatever gets you out there and keeps you enthused is the right instrument or none if that's the way you want to go. I have had a few good nights with just a planisphere and nothing else. Welcome to the forum.

Rowan46 thank you for your reply, and putting a cat amongst the pigeons!

Well, telescopes tend to be a bit more expensive than your average 10x50 binos.

A sensible option would be to explore telescopes when I can get round to the astro-soc evenings, but then who said I had to be sensible ;) I just love the idea of seeing things closer, getting more detail, looking deeper into the nights sky.

That's true, they are more expensive generally, especially if you're thinking of dipping your toes in astrophotography. I think there is a place for both personally. I think you'll find many amateur astronomers have a pair of bins as well as a scope or 3! ;) If you get a chance, visiting your local astro society is a great way of meeting other astronomers and hopefully looking at a few scopes, and indeed through them. ;)

Hi Miranda,

A warm welcome to SGL...

What ever you spend your money on its got to be on equipment you use regularly.

Plenty of people rush out and spend a shed load of cash on an expensive telescope which gets used several times and then collects dust in the spare room for months at a time.

Keep it simple to start with and when you are absolutly sure you are comitted to the hobby then thats the time to start investing.

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to the forums.

I went through the same thing about a year ago, and ended up upgrading very quickly.

Go to your astro society and look through as many scopes as you can before committing to a purchase.

You will need to narrow your objectives as planetary and deep sky require very different scopes.

Don't forget you will need to buy eyepieces too, so make sure you budget for those.

@ BigdaddyJeff, K.I.S.S = Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Hi Mirander and welcome to SGL, you seem to have been lured by the dark side already, there is a fairly simple device called a Barn Door, if you have someone into DIY that could make one for, you could mount your camera on that which will give star tracking for a few minutes and open up a whole new World for you, as you seem to enjoy your photography ;)

John.

Archived