Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New from Shropshire

Miranda

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bigdaddyjeff - I define KISS as is keep it simple (because I am) stupid lol.

And what a lovely bunch of hellos and welcomes to the forum! I have to say you are all a rather lovely bunch!

And I've now got my hands on 2 pairs of my dads old binos - 8x40 and 10x50, although the latter seem to be made from lead and weigh over a kilo! Didnt realise I'd be getting a work out as well as seeing the stars ;) So I will endeaver to explore all the twiddly bits on them tonight and have another nosey if the weather permits.

And no idea what a barn door tracker is, so will have to investigate - what did we do before google!?!

Hi Miranda,

A warm welcome to SGL...

What ever you spend your money on its got to be on equipment you use regularly.

Plenty of people rush out and spend a shed load of cash on an expensive telescope which gets used several times and then collects dust in the spare room for months at a time.

Keep it simple to start with and when you are absolutly sure you are comitted to the hobby then thats the time to start investing.

Hi Miranda and welcome to SGL.

I have to agree with Steve. Get something that you will use.

Hi Miranda and welcome to the forum.

You're not the only person to be heard generating a loud girlie scream - I do it on a regular basis whether it's dropping an eyepiece or banging my head on the car boot when I'm unpacking my astro gear!:) Glad you are off to a good start and you might like to consider downloading stellarium here, which will help you find other objects that might be of interest. Its free, its easy to use and it also has a lot of useful 'toys' on it that will keep you busy when the clouds come in (.....and stay in!!!) I find it a very useful bit of kit to help plan your viewing as you can work out when objects will be coming into view and from which direction by using its advance date/time function.

Clear skies for your next screaming session!:):D

James

Archived