Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora from Iceland

Just been on holiday to Iceland and took another 11 members of my local Astro group with me. Primary reason for going - to see the Aurora, but we decided to make it into a holiday and see all the other interesting geological features while we were there.

Part of the holiday was spent by Lake Myvatn in the remote NE with very dark skies. The hotel provides a conservatory with a radiator and hot drinks so you can shelter from the cold during an all night vigil which was VERY necessary the first night we were there at minus 11 and windy. The last night was a balmy minus 3 degrees and no wind and so we were able to stay out for fairly long periods watching and imaging.

I also did 2 short animations of 20secs (with 20 sec break while waiting for aurodarks). Hosted on my website, just click on the thumbnails:

Aurora animations

All images were done with a Modified Canon 450D (with Custom white balance), 1600 ISO, approx 20 secs (except the first one which was only 7 secs), F3.5 + autodarks on a tripod.

wp46097193_0f.jpg

wpbbe931b6_0f.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We planned what we wanted to do and found a company to tailor make it for us, and they also offered further suggestions and were very helpful considering we had a party of 12 people some doing slightly different things from time to time.

Iceland2go | Holidays to Iceland and Greenland travel itineraries - iceland2go

Carole

We planned what we wanted to do and found a company to tailor make it for us, and they also offered further suggestions and were very helpful considering we had a party of 12 people some doing slightly different things from time to time.

Iceland2go | Holidays to Iceland and Greenland travel itineraries - iceland2go

Carole

Thank you for that (I hope to go this time next year)

Thanks every-one. Good luck Stagazer Jack and Scarlet.

My recommendation is that you try to stay in a hotel in a dark site, either La Ranga (south) or a Hotel at Lake Myvatn (remote area NE) for a few days as if you go on a NL trip out of Reykjavik, although they take you out of town to a dark site, you have to come home once you've seen the lights, or once they decide it's time to come back. They did stay out until 1pm on the night we went from Reykjavik (after giving up), but another group came back at 12.30 and the aurora started at 1.15 so they missed it.

We stayed in the Sel hotel in Myvatn which meant we could stay up all night if we wanted to and were not reliant on being taken and brought back.

Carole

Im so jealous Carole, I bet you had a lot of fun taking these images and they are fantastic! Minus 11 is a bit chilly but I must admit to have been crazy enough to be imaging at these temps in the uk during January!

I guess I need not ask if you had a nice holiday but still hope that you did. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Thanks every-one. Yes had a great holiday (12 of us from our local astro group). It was only minus 11 = wind which made it really bitter, on 2 occasions (one was the first aurora evening), the rest of the time it was a balmy - 3 degrees, and wrapped up well it was bearable.

Certainly recommend going, lots of interesting geology there too.

Carole

Wow, amazing photos!

I saw the aurora when I was in Iceland over New Year from the Thingvellir National Park. I've wanted to see them ever since I first knew they existed. It's such a magical yet somewhat eerie experience but one I definitely want to do again!

Archived