Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Yep, wall to wall clear skies were forecast for tonight. You would think they would get a 24 hour forecast right!!

Yes its strange. That clear night was forecast about a week in advance. I was looking at the sky thinking how clever when they can predict that. Then I saw clouds on the horizon and thought it would just pass over - next thing - complete cloud cover. I kept thinking it would clear up and kept checking but no! Then I looked at the met office forecast and its still saying clear all night. Unbelievable.

it was actually just above zero degrees in my garden last night but it felt REALLY cold. It felt colder last night than a few weeks ago when it got down down to -6. Must have been the breeze.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we are building a nice group up. Next week might be possible lets aim for one night and see what it looks like a few days either side. I think we could try Emley moor mast again to see if it meets expectations. But will only be decent if you are looking for southern skies.

Don't quote me on this but looking at the light polution map on the link above the dark spot between leeds huddersfield and manchester is the view from emly moor mast light behind you dark infront

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and been reading this thread for a couple of days now. I'd like to join in when another meet is arranged as i'm not far from wakefield being about a 5min drive from new millar dam area.I've not bought a scope yet but in the process of looking.

Damian

just added you to twitter crash.

love the map. it does look better from the map at emley moor also so it wasnt just wishful thinking. want to go to some darker skies though would somewhere in the peak district be closer than sutton bank/ and does anybody know of anywhere that direction

Thanks Soupy, I definitely will do.

I'd have thought that windscar reservoir would be good as when you drop down to dunford bridge and up the hill there is the entrance road to the pennine sailing club and a little car park on the left. I've done quite a bit of cycling around that neck of the woods and it is quite remote but obviously only in the daylight so would have to check it out for myself and let you all know.

Archived