Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

If its clear then i'll be up at the mast for 8ish as well! BBC says the fog will clear by then so fingers crossed. Mind you it said it wasn't going to snow today and it has been doing so for the last hour! :cool:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable - forecast was cloud and then mist around midnight. Its been very clear all night! Got the scope out and looked at a few thngs and tried a bit of imaging on Jupiter. It was down to -6 when I finished. Scope was completely frozen up. I had to get the hair drier on the corrector plate a few times to clear it - which worried me as I could just imagine it cracking. Got a great view of jupiter - I could see the red spot and its wake which I have never been able to do before.

Same up where I was, spent 2 hours out in the freezing cold, fingers and toes felt like they were about to drop off! It did then fog over about half an hour after I came in so all in all a great night! Hope it stays clear for tonight again with better transparency.

Tried my modded web cam last night and got it to focus :grin: however the image I get is too bright (its not picking up the bands of jupiter), I think I need a different webcam capture software, anybody recommend one (preferably a free one)!

freezing fog all over the place at the moment, but looks promising for a fantastic evening of extreme cold and zero wind if the fog clears!

looks like the car park at emly moor tv tower has a proper gate on it now, however there is that large layby next to the entrance that should (if memory serves) fit about a dozen cars in if the car park is fully locked up.

Cheers Sammy. Got the link today will down load it to my laptop before tonight.

the lay by is where we can park, should be enough room for us all and will roughly be behind us if we are observing south.

I'll struggle again to get there tonight. Wednesday night is when I have to taxi the kids to and from Brownies/Guides.

The forecast looks appalling - so it'll probably turn out to be crystal clear skies. I hope you have a good session.

as you all know i am up this way. the fog is not very thick I can see the mast from my house (less than a mile as the crow flies) a good sign! there is a little cloud cover so no stars etc. visible but jupiter and a few brighter stars did poke through a while ago and the moon is trying to shine through even now. it could move off and be a great night or it could get foggier! I will go up about 8ish just to see what its like. If foggy ill hang around a little just to see if it clears. I am forever hopeful :huh:

Archived