Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammyb, I think the haze can be very deceiving. In my experience the hazy, misty conditions produce the best atmospheric conditions for watching planets/moon. I does not affect the contrast of them too much but the atmosphere is very stable (hence hazy) so you can wack a lot of magnification on.

I did and actually had the best viewing of Jupiter last night with my scope so far (in central Manchester, haha!). I have never seen it so sharp before with clear view of the Great Red Spot and shadow on of his moons on it (mag 333x).

Let's hope for another good session tonight!

Cheers,

Matej

I've bought Second hand from a guy who's giving up,lives in Birmingham so has to travel too far to experience anything like dark. 200pds and heq5 mount

That looks nice.....i shall be ordering mine soon so I think we need a trip to winscar soon :-)

Had my eye on that set up for a while and fingers crossed I'll get to use it this weekend maybe a few messier objects to tick off the list.Yeah trip to winscar definitely.I'll keep you posted and maybe a few of the others will join us?

Not looking good for the rest of this week so hoping a night next week i can get out somewhere dark to add to the galaxy count.at 23 so far not including our own and once i have done the virgo galaxies that will be another 25 and have another 6-8 around leo/uma.aiming for 100+ by the end of the year and 200+ of the herschel 400 (23 so far) and the rest of the messiers (57 so far).need some decent weather when the moon is out!!anyone have any targets for this year?

Not looking good for the rest of this week so hoping a night next week i can get out somewhere dark to add to the galaxy count.at 23 so far not including our own and once i have done the virgo galaxies that will be another 25 and have another 6-8 around leo/uma.aiming for 100+ by the end of the year and 200+ of the herschel 400 (23 so far) and the rest of the messiers (57 so far).need some decent weather when the moon is out!!anyone have any targets for this year?

getting a telescope and kit for imaging...then learning how to use it!! :-)

I am carrying on with my Messier hunt + a list of bright NGCs I have. Currently I have got an obssesion with observing from a dark sky spot (even if it involves a bit of driving).

After having a session in Lake District last week, I don't think there is coming back for me, the sky quality virtually increases the aperture of the scope, haha.

So yes my target is keep the new object coming but focus more on a dark sky location where I can actually see structure in galaxies and nebulae

Archived