Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Hiya Sam,

Woolley edge has great views from the top during the day right up to the power stations north, emley and holme moss and beyond, I'm unsure as to how it is during darkness with the light pollution? but sounds good and is close by.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, maybe the map I have posted earlier maybe of help. I do go to Peak District quite often although it's not as dark as Yorks Dales or Sutton Bank, it is close (I am from Manchester) and there are good quiet spot.

If you want to add your sites to the map, give me a shout.

Matej

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214914528703394167983.0004d37f21c8474de29e7

Woolley edge isn't brilliant. From the viewpoint/layby anyway. You are right next to the road, and at a junction of three other roads. There are too many headlights. I don't know if there is a more secluded spot near there?

Wintersett isnt as good as you would think,mainly due to lights at the carpark so you would have to walk a bit.theres a decent enough spit down by cold hiendly res but its a bit dodgy.nostell priory down near the camp site isnt that good either.waterton park you get lights from the country park.as a local ive tried alot of these places and similar and all spots local are dissapointing :(

Woolley has the scout place back from view point but you'd have to walk about 400mtrs downhill and carrying equipment wouldn't be good I should imagine? (I don't have a scope as yet) I'd have thought so long as you're in a decent group then a lot safer when it comes to "late night enthusiasts". Winscar/dunford does have the pennine yachting club at the other side with a small car park so that maybe a bit better?

there's a small carpark just up from the sailing club at 53.514848,-1.771266 thats where i had a short observing session with a full moon.had only been observing a month so didnt know to check the moon phases and didnt know much of the night sky either :( tbh i would rather travel to sutton bank than here as its easier and less isolated

yeah i observe from the bus spaces at the end of the visitors car park.you do get a few idiots coming through with their full beams on but about 9pm there's not actually that much traffic anywhere near.i love it as its pretty quiet,infact ive only seen one other person there observing and i arranged to meet them there!!!only an hour up the A1 for me

actually casting my mind back a few years, i camped there for a 'do' and remembered is was very quiet and dark - until we got the fireworks and stereo out :evil:

another option is the yorkshire sculpture park south of Bretton.

in fact, there are quite a few locations around here that have possibilities. Still going to suffer resdual LP from all the towns in the area - so unless we go out to the dales, peaks etc we'll never be truly dark. but it would be nice to be somewhere with no visible lights like horbury.

I went to cannon hall for the bonfire last year and it is dark at the top where the farm car park is although I think they lock the gates at night? the bottom car park has loads of lights around it.

Yorkshire sculpture park sounds good also for somewhere local and easily accessible, had many a cycling trip through it there's the centre at the top (jebb lane side) although it has quite a few trees around it too?

Archived