Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

anyone know any good sites around the wakefield area?im near pontefract but dont mind travelling about to find dark skies as everywhere i seem to try has its downsides.went upto holme moss this evening and tbh i expected much darker skies but the combination of cars using the main road with full beams and the transmitter lights meant it was dissapointing.a few darker sites i know can be a bit dodgy(local boy racer hangouts etc).currently using binoculars but hopefully will be getting a 200p dob this week:)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look at Winscar Resrvoir near Dunford Bridge Dunford Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . A piccy here where you can see the car park Winscar Reservoir:: OS grid SE1503 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square! . Not a place to be when the roads get icy . When things get wild & wooly the roads shut ( like the Snake Pass !!!) .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im sitting at work waiting for my scope to be dispatched planning for dark sky sites.

Ive seen another post discussing sites here and it mentions a dark sky site as the national trust Buckstones Moss Car Park which after surfing google maps for the morning I (think) have found is here which looks to have nice views.

However looking at the dark sky maps it seems that if you get a bit further away from the M62 due south then you will get better skys.6853390204_f48e1c6aaf_z.jpg

I was therefore thinking that somewhere around holmfirth may be good. Maybe on top of Holme Moss next to the transmitter here or I think personally I am going to try here

Anyone else found anywhere. BTW im in wakefield so would like it not be within 45 mins of home.

Paul

im just south of wakefield near hemsworth,few darkish places i used to fish,horbury lagoon area down the field behind charles roberts if the gypsies have moved on.some darkish skies round wintersett area too but for proper dark its the moors or the peak

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live near the mast approx. 1 mile away in highburton. The sky's are not too bad, but on long exposure photos can get an orange glow, but I suppose it's the same all round most of west yorks unless you get to the moors further south.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Thought I'd say a quick hello as I'm in Wakefield too. I was given a fantastic Skywatcher 8" f/5 Newtonian for my 40th recently, and am keen to find nearby places to use it!

I'm quite close to Newton Hill - not great for light, of course, but very almost 360 degree horizon and high up.

Anyone else around that area? I'd like to meet any Wakefield astronomers out there!

Steve

Hi Steve I have invested in a SW200pds for my 40th tomorrow! I teach astronomy at a local school and love looking at the stars, wife is not too keen though! But there are very little places around Wakie with no light pollution. However Emley moor is not too bad and easily accessible.

Hi Steve, I'm not that far from you, I'm in Thorpe just the other side of Outwood. I have to admit it is quite hard to find some nice dark spots, I've had to head near Penistone to find a good spot, I've personally not tried Emley moor but I would think the light pollution is greatly reduced. I'm trying to find a good spot to watch the transit of Venus, I'm thinking a spot near Wooley Edge that looks over the valley, I'm just hoping it isn't facing west :( but any other suggestions would be welcome. :(

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

A quick question; is anyone around Wakefield going to watch the Venus transit on Wednesday morning? If you are where are you going to observe it, or if not where would you recommend? I thought Entry mast area would be an ok spot or a lookout near Wooley Edge but both site obscure the sky in a NE direction, which to my understanding is where the sun will rise. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

For me (if transport was no option) would be over towards Kellington in North Yorkshire and heading over to Snaith. Mostly flat land out there and can provide some protection from the streetlights.

Another place could be Otley Chevin/Ilkley. Maybe the image of light pollution could confirn these areas.

As we have some people interested in the hobby, has anyone got any idea of a meeting group in Wakefield? I know of the observatory in Pontefract and the one in Batley Park, but is there a group in Wakefield?

I like the idea of a group, but at the moment I can't think of a time I personally could do it.

I certainly wouldn't be averse to arranging the odd one-off observing evening if we can find a decent site. I'm quite nervous about setting up my scope alone, but if others were there it would be better. That's really my main hope for now, but who knows - maybe we can find a time to meet up.

Sent you a private message Steve.

For others: Thinking maybe a montly meeting as people will have commitments elsewhere. Hopefully somewhere away from town in a bar that is served not only by road but also public transport. So if anyone wants to set up as meeting group send me a private message.

• 1 month later...

Hello - I would like to introduce myself. I am in the Wakefield area - Ossett to be precise. If any meetings are planned in the region I would be interested. I would like to assure you I'm not a psychotic clown as my avatar would suggest.

Sam

Archived